Baked Chicken Florentine
Quick and easy, but nice enough to serve to company, this Italian classic can be made with either mozzarella, or with cheddar.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts (3-4 medium sized chicken breasts)
- 4 cups spinach leaves
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder, divided
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, divided
- salt and pepper
- 4 roma tomatoes, diced (separated into 2 equal groups)
8 ounces Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar, shredded (about 2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- ½ lemon, juiced
- PREHEAT oven to 375° F.
- LAY chicken breast on a cutting board, cover tightly with plastic wrap and using a rolling pin or mallet, pound chicken breast evenly into thin uniform pieces.
- PLACE spinach in bottom of large baking dish, drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- LAY thin chicken breasts on top of spinach
- DRIZZLE chicken with 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon dried oregano and season with salt and pepper.
- COVER chicken with ½ of the diced tomatoes and all the shredded cheese
- OIL one side of a large piece of foil, and tightly cover the baking dish with foil (oil side down), to keep the cheese from sticking to the foil and bake for 10 minutes.
- REMOVE foil after 10 minutes and place back in oven for additional 10-12 minutes, until cheese is golden brown, and chicken is cooked through. **Note – cooking times will vary depending on how thin your chicken breasts are.
- COMBINE remaining diced tomatoes with 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, lemon juice and chopped basil in a small bowl while chicken is cooking. Season as needed with salt and pepper
- REMOVE cooked chicken from oven, allow to cool slightly before plating. Top with diced tomato mixture and serve.
- per serving
- 38 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 13 grams
- 145 milligrams
- 540 milligrams
- 8 grams
- 2 grams
- 42 grams
- 481 milligrams