Apple-Cheddar Squash Soup
Soups, Stews & Chili
1 cup (2 sticks) Cabot Extra Creamy Premium Unsalted Butter
- 3 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 6 medium apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 large white potato, peeled and diced
- 12 cups fresh butternut squash, peeled and chopped, or frozen cooked
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1½ teaspoon dried sage
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup apple cider
- 12 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups milk
- 6 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, torn into bite-size pieces
24 ounces Cabot Sharp or Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded (about 6 cups,) plus more for garnish, or use 6 cups Cabot Shredded Cheddar
- 2 tablespoons creme fraiche
- Chopped chives, for garnish (optional)
- Crusty bread, for serving (optional)
- MELT ¾ cup butter in a large pot over medium-low heat. Add the onions, apples, potatoes and squash. Season with salt and pepper and cook until the onion is soft, about 8 minutes.
- STIR in the sage and flour. Add the cider and cook over high heat, stirring, until thickened. Add the broth and milk, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring, until the potatoes are soft, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- HEAT the remaining ¼ cup butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sliced prosciutto and cook until crisp, turning occasionally, about 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- ADD the cheese to the soup and stir over medium-low heat until melted.
- PUREE soup in a blender in batches until smooth; season with salt and pepper.
- GARNISH with the crisp prosciutto, grated cheese and chives, if using, and a drizzle of creme fraiche. Serve with bread, if desired.
- per serving
- 42 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 23 grams
- 740 milligrams
- 120 milligrams
- 58 grams
- 6 grams
- 19 grams
- 30 grams
- 584 milligrams