Sam’s Savory Snack (For Your Dog)
- 1 ½ cups beef broth
- 1 cup uncooked “old-fashioned” oats (not “quick”)
2 sticks Cabot Salted Butter
4 ounces Cabot Sharp Cheddar, grated (about 1 cup)
- ½ cup nonfat powdered milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup wheat germ
3 cups King Arthur Whole Wheat Flour
- BRING beef broth to boil.
- PLACE oats and butter in large bowl and pour hot broth over them; let stand for 5 minutes.
- PREHEAT oven to 300°F. Grease two large baking sheets.
- STIR cheese, powdered milk, egg and salt into oat mixture. Add cornmeal and wheat germ and mix well. Add flour, ½ cup at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- TURN dough out onto work surface and knead for 3 to 4 minutes, adding more flour if necessary to make very stiff dough. Pat or roll dough into ½-inch thickness.
- CUT into desired shapes and arrange on prepared baking sheets.
- BAKE for 1 hour. Turn off heat and leave in oven for 1 ½ hours or longer for desired crunchiness.
- per serving
Amount/Serving % Daily Value
- 5 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 3 grams
- 76 milligrams
- 8 grams
- 1 grams
- 3.5 grams
- 55 milligrams