Apple Oatmeal Bars with Cabot Cheddar
Breakfast & Brunch
Apple oatmeal bars are a popular dessert for good reason. They’re delicate and provide just the right amount of sweetness and chewy texture. Just when you think these bars couldn’t get any better, we’ve added our Cabot White Oak Cheddar to the mix. Trust us, these flavors absolutely belong together! Make these and see for yourself, then spread the love around by sharing the recipe with family and friends on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and Twitter.
Begin by preheating the oven to 350° degrees and coating an 8 by 8-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Then whisk together the whole-wheat flour, oats, baking powder, and 1 ½ teaspoon of cinnamon in a medium bowl.
In another medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, applesauce, Cabot Plain Greek Yogurt, and honey. Then whisk in Cabot Unsalted Butter (melted and cooled). Add the flour mixture to the applesauce mixture and stir together with a spatula until moistened.
Spread about ⅔ of the batter into the prepared pan. Toss the apples with sugar and the remaining ½ teaspoon of cinnamon, to coat, and layer the apple mixture over the batter. Then layer on the shredded Cabot White Oak Cheddar cheese and approximately half of the walnuts. Dot the remaining batter evenly over the walnuts, cheddar, and apple layers, and then top with the remaining ¼ cup walnuts.
Bake until puffed and browned on top and when it springs back when lightly touched. Let cool completely before slicing into 12 bars. Store with layers of waxed paper between the bars in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 days. Bars can also be stored in the freezer for 1 month.
For another delicious bar recipe, try these Oatmeal Cheddar Blackberry Bars next! Cabot is a cooperative of over 800 farm families who all work diligently to produce only the highest quality products. We’d love for you to share your thoughts about these apple and cheddar oatmeal bars so, if you could rate and review the recipe once you’ve tried it, we’d really appreciate it!
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons King Arthur White Whole-Wheat Flour
- ½ cup quick cooking oats
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
¼ cup Cabot Plain Greek Yogurt
- ½ cup honey
4 tablespoons Cabot Unsalted Butter, melted and cooled
- 1 sweet firm apple, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
4 ounces Cabot White Oak Cheddar, shredded (about 1 cup)
- ½ cup chopped walnuts, divided
- PREHEAT oven to 350° degrees. Coat an 8 by 8-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- WHISK whole-wheat flour, oats, baking powder and 1½ teaspoon cinnamon in a medium bowl.
- WHISK eggs, applesauce, yogurt and honey in a medium bowl then whisk in butter. Add the flour mixture to the applesauce mixture and stir with a spatula until moistened.
- SPREAD about ⅔ of the batter out into the prepared pan. Toss apples with sugar and the remaining ½ teaspoon cinnamon to coat. Layer apple mixture over the batter. Layer on cheddar and about half of the walnuts. Dot the remaining batter evenly over the walnuts, cheddar and apple layers. Top with the remaining ¼ cup walnuts.
- BAKE until puffed and browned on top and springs back when lightly touched, 47 to 52 minutes. Let cool completely before slicing into 12 bars. Store with layers of waxed paper between bars in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 days or in the freezer for 1 month.
- per serving
- 12 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 5 grams
- 55 milligrams
- 160 milligrams
- 30 grams
- 3 grams
- 7 grams
- 141 milligrams