Baked Asian Chicken Rice Balls with Cheddar
These baked rice balls are the perfect appetizer to serve a crowd or to enjoy for dinner with a salad or bowl of soup. Our smooth and slightly tangy Sharp Cheddar cheese and ketchup (believe it or not, ketchup is a popular ingredient in many Asian dishes as it provides a sweet, yet tart element) are added to a simple Asian “fried” rice recipe. While the recipe is delicious straight from the pot, taking the extra time to turn them into rice balls and bake them makes them finger friendly, which is exactly what you want in an appetizer. Share this recipe with friends and family members on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and Twitter!
To make 12 chicken rice balls, you’ll need to preheat your oven to 375°F and spray a 12-cup muffin pan with baking spray (or line with baking cups). Heat canola oil in a wok or large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic, onion, and baby Portobello mushrooms and cook until softened, about 3-5 minutes. Next, add chicken and rice, cooking until warmed through. Then add ketchup and soy sauce and stir until well combined. It is important not to over stir in order to prevent rice from becoming too mushy. Finally, add in shredded Cabot Sharp Cheddar cheese (saving about ⅓ cup), and stir until melted through.
Divide rice mixture into 12 equal-sized portions (a large ice cream scooper will make this step easier) and, using your hands, pack and shape into balls. Sprinkle the remaining cheese evenly on top and bake for about 25-30 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Important note: Once you take the rice balls out of the oven, leave them in the pan until they cool completely. Otherwise, they won’t hold their shape and will crumble in your hands.
Want to make a risotto recipe? Try this Mushroom and Cabot Cheddar Risotto. As a cooperative of New York and New England farm families, Cabot is dedicated to creating the highest quality products and recipes that best showcase the fresh flavors of our products. Please share your thoughts on these baked rice balls after you’ve tried them by rating and reviewing the recipe.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 6 ounces baby portobello mushrooms, diced
- 4 tablespoons ketchup (or tomato sauce)
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
1 ½ cups diced chicken (I used rotisserie chicken for convenience)
- 2 cups cooked, leftover rice
- ⅓ cup chopped green onion
6 ounces Cabot Sharp Cheddar, shredded (about 1 ½ cups)
- PREHEAT oven to 375°F.
- SPRAY 12-cup muffin pan with baking spray or line with baking cups.
- HEAT oil in a wok or large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic, onion, and mushrooms and cook until softened and fragrant, about 3-5 minutes. Add chicken and rice, and cook until warmed through. Add ketchup and soy sauce, and stir until well-combined. Make sure not to over stir to prevent rice from becoming too mushy. Finally, add in cheese (save about 1/3 cup), and stir until melted through.
- DIVIDE rice mixture into 12 equal-sized portions (I used a large ice cream scooper), and using your hands, pack and shape into balls. Sprinkle remaining cheese evenly on top and bake for 25-30 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Important: Leave the rice balls in the pan to cool completely before taking them out. Otherwise, they will not hold together.