Broccoli Cheddar Orzo
3 tablespoons Cabot Salted Butter, plus more for greasing the casserole dish
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound dry orzo pasta
- 4 cups broccoli florets, roughly chopped (about 1 large head)
- 3½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup dry white wine (or swap in extra chicken stock)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme (or 1 tablespoon fresh)
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup whole milk
12 ounces Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar, shredded (about 3 cups), divided
- PREHEAT the oven to 400°F.
- GREASE a large oven-safe skillet or casserole dish with butter.
- PLACE the broccoli in a large microwave safe bowl and cover with plastic wrap (do not add water). Microwave on high for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- HEAT the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Once the foaming subsides, add the onion and a sprinkle of salt and pepper and cook until softened, about 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook about 30 seconds longer, until fragrant.
- ADD the orzo, broth, wine, thyme, bay leaf, cayenne, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 8-10 minutes until the orzo is al dente, stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaf.
- STIR in the milk and 2 cups of the shredded cheese, along with the broccoli. Transfer to the prepared baking dish and sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup cheese.
- BAKE for 20-25 minutes, until cheese is melted and broccoli is tender.
- per serving
Amount/Serving % Daily Value
- 11 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 6 grams
- 25 milligrams
- 120 milligrams
- 65 grams
- 4 grams
- 6 grams
- 18 grams
- 144 milligrams