Cabot Cheddar Butternut Squash Soup
Soups Stews & Chili
If you’re looking for a lovely fall soup to have for lunch, serve with dinner on a cold evening, or include in your Thanksgiving feast, this butternut squash soup recipe is a must try! Quick and easy, creamy and comforting, this soup has the perfect blend of butternut squash and cheddar cheese. Serve with some warm crusty bread and a glass of red wine and you have the ideal cozy meal. Try it out and share the recipe with friends and family on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and Twitter.
To begin, combine 2 pounds of butternut squash (peeled and cut into chunks) and 4 cups of homemade chicken stock (or prepared chicken broth) in a large saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium, cover the pan, and simmer for 20 minutes, or until squash is very tender. Uncover and let cool.
Once cooled, puree in a blender or food processor. If necessary, this may be done in batches. Return the puree to saucepan and place over medium-low heat. Stir in 1 cup Cabot Light Sour Cream, 4 ounces Cabot Lite50 Sharp Cheddar, 1 tablespoon Cabot Salted Butter, and ¼ teaspoon ground red pepper. Add salt and ground black pepper to taste, as well as sugar, if desired.
Stir soup until heated through, being sure not to bring it to a boil. Sprinkle with chopped fresh chives and serve!
If you can’t get enough butternut squash soup, be sure to also try our fantastic Butternut Squash and Sage Soup! As a co-operative of New York and New England farm families, our goal is to make the highest quality and best tasting dairy products you’ll find. We’d love for you to rate and review this butternut squash soup with sour cream once you’ve given it a try!
- 2 pounds butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 cups homemade chicken stock or prepared chicken broth
1 cup Cabot Light Sour Cream
4 ounces Cabot Lite50 Sharp Cheddar, grated (about 1 cup)
1 tablespoon Cabot Salted Butter
- ¼ teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- Salt and ground pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- Chopped fresh chives for garnish
- COMBINE squash and stock or broth in a large pan; bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium, cover pan and simmer squash for 20 minutes or until very tender.
- UNCOVER and let cool. Puree in blender or food processor, in batches if necessary.
- RETURN puree to saucepan and place over medium-low heat. Stir in sour cream, cheese, butter and red pepper. Add salt and ground pepper to taste. If squash lacks sweetness, add optional sugar
- STIR soup just until heated through (do not allow to boil). Serve sprinkled with chives.
- per serving
- 10 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 5 grams
- 22 milligrams
- 1073 milligrams
- 14 grams
- 1 grams
- 7 grams
- 100 milligrams