Cabot Cheddar-Pepper Scones
Move over biscuits and cornbread: Cabot’s cheddar-pepper scones are bound to become your new favorite accompaniment for soup and chili. Moist, dense and cheesy, these scones get just the right amount of spice from fresh herbs and white pepper.
3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
8 ounces (2 sticks) cold Cabot Unsalted Butter, cut into pieces
2 ounces Cabot Sharp Cheddar, grated, plus more for top (about ½ cup)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- ½ cup milk
- 1 large egg
- PLACE rack in upper third of oven and preheat oven to 350°F.
- COMBINE flour, baking powder, pepper and salt in a large bowl. With pastry cutter or fingers, work in butter until mixture forms crumbs the size of small peas.
- ADD ½ cup cheddar plus chives and thyme, tossing to combine.
- In small bowl, whisk together milk and egg until blended; stir into dry ingredients until dough forms and mixture comes away from sides of bowl.
- TURN out onto floured work surface. Press or roll into ¾ inch thick circle. Cut into 12 wedges. Alternatively, cut out rounds, pressing scraps together to make more.
- TRANSFER to baking sheet. (If desired, whisk together additional egg and 1 tablespoon milk; brush tops of scones with mixture.) Sprinkle with additional cheese.
- BAKE for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden on top and cooked through to center.
- per serving
Amount/Serving % Daily Value
- 17 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 10.5 grams
- 62 milligrams
- 419 milligrams
- 26 grams
- 1 grams
- 5.5 grams
- 88 milligrams