Cabot Lite50 Sharp Cheddar Firecracker with Fall Fruit Compote
- 4 large (14- by 18-inch) sheets phyllo dough*, thawed according to package directions
6 tablespoons Cabot Salted Butter, melted
- Juice of 1 lemon
6 ounces Cabot Lite50 Sharp Cheddar (not grated)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 medium pears, peeled and diced
- 2 medium apples, peeled and diced
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup diced dried figs
- 1 cup diced dried apricots
- ½ cup brandy
- 2 cups orange juice
- ¼ cup chopped toasted hazelnuts
Fall Fruit Compote (not included in nutrition analysis):
- LAY phyllo out on work surface.
- STIR together butter and lemon juice. Keeping remaining sheets covered with plastic wrap, brush one sheet of phyllo with lemon butter. Fold in half crosswise and brush again. Repeat with 3 more sheets. (* If using smaller phyllo, use 8 sheets and do not fold in half.)
- LAY cheese lengthwise in center of phyllo. Brush far long edge of phyllo with egg (to seal packet during baking).
- ROLL cheese up in phyllo, pressing edge firmly in place. Twist ends tightly against cheese to make firecracker-shaped package. Chill until ready to bake.
- PREHEAT oven to 350°F.
- PLACE firecracker seam-side-down on baking sheet with sides and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden. Serve with Fall Fruit Compote.
Fall Fruit Compote:
- COMBINE fresh and dried fruits, in large saucepan.
- PLACE over medium heat and stir for two minutes to warm fruit. Remove from heat and stir in brandy.
- RETURN to heat, being careful not to ignite brandy. Stir for several minutes, then stir in orange juice. Simmer mixture gently until fruits are tender.
- REMOVE from heat and stir in hazelnuts.
- per serving
Amount/Serving % Daily Value
- 19 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 12 grams
- 80 milligrams
- 486 milligrams
- 7 grams
- 1 grams
- 18 grams
- 410 milligrams