Chicken and Cheddar Pot Pie with Mashed Potato Crust
If you love chicken pot pie (and who doesn’t?), then you’re going to love this version, made with chicken and a mashed potato pie crust! Combining all your favorite ingredients from traditional chicken pot pie, including potatoes, onions, carrots, peas, this chicken and mashed potato recipe adds grated Cabot Sharp Cheddar to the mix and then tops the pie with mashed potatoes for the perfect finish! This may be the only chicken pot pie recipe you use from now on! Try it out and then share the recipe with friends and family on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and Twitter.
To get started, cover potatoes with water in a small saucepan, bring to a boil and cook until tender. Drain well and return to saucepan, adding 1 tablespoon of milk and 2 teaspoons of Cabot Unsalted Butter. Mash until smooth, then cover and set aside to keep warm.
Next, melt the remaining 1 teaspoon Cabot Unsalted Butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onions, carrots and peas and cook, stirring, until vegetables begin to soften. Add remaining 1/4 cup milk and chicken and bring mixture to a simmer.
Adjust heat to maintain a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Gradually stir in grated Cabot Sharp Cheddar cheese. Let cool slightly, then spoon into small bowls and top with mashed potatoes. If desired, top with some additional cheese.
Can’t get enough chicken pot pie? If you love sweet potatoes, then you’ll have to try our Chicken and Sweet Potato Pot Pie next! Did you know Cabot is a co-operative of over 1,000 who continuously strive to produce the best dairy products around? If you love this chicken and mashed potato recipe as much as we do, we’d really appreciate it if you could rate and review it when you have the chance!
1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon plus ¼ cup whole milk
2 teaspoons plus 1 teaspoon Cabot Unsalted Butter
- ¼ cup minced onions
- ¼ cup minced carrots
- ¼ cup minced peas
- 4 ounces cooked organic or all-natural chicken breast, cut into small cubes
2 ounces Cabot Sharp Cheddar, grated (about ½ cup)
- COVER potatoes with water in small saucepan; bring to boil and cook until tender. Drain well and return to saucepan; add 1 tablespoon of milk and 2 teaspoons of butter and mash until smooth; cover and set aside to keep warm.
- MELT remaining 1 teaspoon butter in medium saucepan over medium heat; add onions, carrots and peas and cook, stirring, until vegetables begin to soften. Add remaining 1/4 cup milk and chicken and bring mixture to simmer.
- ADJUST heat to maintain simmer and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Gradually stir in cheese. Let cool slightly, then spoon into small bowls and top with mashed potato, plus a little additional cheese if desired. Or puree in blender or food processor.
- per serving
- 9 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 5 grams
- 129 milligrams
- 12 grams
- 1.5 grams
- 14.5 grams
- 137 milligrams