Cuban Mac & Cheese
Mac & Cheese
- 4-5 slices Cuban bread (French or Italian can be substituted)
- 1 pound uncooked penne, large elbows or shells
8 tablespoons (1 stick) Cabot Salted Butter
1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 4 cups hot milk
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, or more to taste
16 ounces Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar, grated (about 4 cups)
- ¼ pound sliced ham, cut into ½ – inch pieces
- ¼ pound sliced roast pork, cut into ½ – inch pieces
- ½ cup dill pickles, cut into ½ – inch pieces
- PREHEAT oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease 9-by-13-inch baking dish or coat with cooking spray.
- PLACE bread slices on baking sheet and place in oven for 4 to 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool, then pulse in food processor or crush in plastic bag into coarse crumbs (you need about 1 cup).
- COOK pasta according to package directions until almost done (al dente). Drain well, transfer to large bowl and set aside.
- MELT butter in heavy-bottomed pot or saucepan over medium heat; whisk in flour until well blended. Continue whisking for another minute or two, not letting mixture brown.
- GRADUALLY whisk in milk and keep stirring for a few more minutes. Whisk in dry mustard and hot sauce until well blended.
- ADD cheese, stirring until melted and blended. Reduce heat to low and stir for 3 to 4 minutes longer.
- STIR about half of sauce into pasta. Add ham, roast pork, pickles and remaining cheese sauce and mix again.
- PLACE mixture in prepared baking dish. Scatter breadcrumbs evenly over top. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- per serving
Amount/Serving % Daily Value
- 36.5 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 20.5 grams
- 121 milligrams
- 831 milligrams
- 68 grams
- 3 grams
- 35 grams
- 571 milligrams