Hawaiian Pineapple Chicken Sliders on Pretzel Buns
8 to 12
- 10-12 small pretzel buns
- 5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thawed
- 2 red or green bell peppers, sliced thinly
- 1 can of sliced pineapple (in fruit juice, not syrup)
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
1 – 8 ounce bar of Cabot Farmhouse Reserve Cheddar, thinly sliced
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- PREHEAT a large pan over medium heat, no higher! Slice onion very thinly, about 1/4 inch thick. Pour oil in pan, let heat for a minute. Add onions and toss to coat in the oil. Now, be patient! Do not touch them for at least 4-5 minutes. After about 5 minutes quickly stir them to redistribute around the pan and then leave them alone for another 5-7 minutes. Resist the temptation to stir them, lower the heat just a bit if needed. Do this for about 30 minutes. Cooking them this way lets the natural sugars come out and makes the onions deliciously sweet! Remove from heat when a dark golden brown, place in a bowl and cover until needed.
- PREHEAT the outdoor grill on high.
- PLACE chicken breasts, one at a time in a thick zip lock bag and pound with a rolling pin to flatten them out a bit. You will want them about 1/2″ thick. Place them on a plate and discard the bag.
- PUT the chicken breasts on the grill and cook for about 7-8 minutes. Lower the grill heat a bit and flip the chicken over. ONLY flip ONCE. Cook them for another 5-7 minutes depending on thickness and your grill. Don’t over cook or they will be dry. You can test the doneness with a meat thermometer or be gently pressing them with your tongs. They should be as tender as the inside of your fist (when you make a gentle fist, the area in between your thumb and first finger). Remove chicken from grill and cover.
- SLICE pretzel buns in half, top with sliced peppers, pineapple, chicken, sliced cheese and onions. Drizzle with some barbecue sauce and top with the bun. Serve hot.