Instant Pot Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup
There’s nothing better than having a few easy soup recipes in your back pocket for a delicious, comforting weeknight meal – especially convenient instant pot soup recipes like this one! Tomato soup and tortellini lovers will adore the combination of the rich, flavorful ingredients in this soup. Whether you choose to add turkey sausage or leave it out, this recipe will satisfy your soup cravings and become an instant favorite in your home! Make this tomato tortellini soup for your next instant pot dinner and then share the recipe with friends and family on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, or Instagram – and be sure to use our handle @cabotcheese when posting on Instagram.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound Jennie-O Turkey Sausage, (*optional)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
4 ounces Cabot Cream Cheese, room temperature
- 4 cups fresh cheese tortellini
- ½ cup light cream
- 4 ounces baby greens (spinach, kale, chard, etc.)
4 ounces Cabot Farmhouse Reserve Cheddar, grated (about 1 cup)
- Freshly chopped basil for garnish
- ADD the olive oil and turkey sausage (if using), breaking the meat into small pieces as it cooks, using a wooden spoon or spatula.
- ADD chopped onions (if not using sausage, start with this step) to the pot once sausage is mostly browned and continue cooking for another 2-3 minutes, until softened.
- ADD minced garlic, cooking an additional 30-60 seconds, until fragrant. Then add the tomato paste, red pepper flakes, dried basil, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine and cook for 20-30 seconds.
- ADD the crushed tomatoes and broth to the pot and give everything a few stirs until well combined.
- PLACE the lid of the Instant Pot on and set the valve to the sealing position. Press the manual pressure cook button and set it to 15 minutes.
- WHEN Instant Pot signals the end of the cooking time by beeping, release pressure manually by carefully turning the valve to the venting position.
- SLOWLY remove the lid once pressure is fully released and turn the Instant Pot back on to Sauté mode.
ADD the Cabot Cream Cheese to the pot and stir for a few minutes until dissolved in the soup.
- ADD the tortellini to the pot and cook according to the package directions for al dente, usually about 7 minutes for fresh tortellini.
- ADD the light cream and baby greens, stirring until incorporated and greens begin to wilt.
TURN the Instant Pot off and add the grated Cabot Farmhouse Reserve Cheddar just before serving. Garnish each bowl with freshly chopped basil.
*For a vegetarian option – omit turkey sausage and use vegetable broth.
**For a gluten-free option – make sure to use gluten-free tortellini.
- per serving
- 37 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 21 grams
- 140 milligrams
- 1406 milligrams
- 7 grams
- 33 grams
- 338 milligrams