Mac’s Mac and Cheese
Mac & Cheese
This time-honored recipe comes from one of our favorite Cabot employees.
It’s got a generous portion of tangy cheddar, a golden crumb topping, and a hint of cayenne and mustard. As far as comfort food recipes go, this Mac’s macaroni and cheese recipe has to be one of our most popular. It features a scrumptious combination of butter and sharp cheddar, which makes it both filling and truly savory. This recipe makes for roughly eight servings, and it’s guaranteed to be a popular one in your home if you decide to make it for your family and friends. After making this dish, please make sure to rate and review it—if there’s some way that we can improve this dish, we’d be happy to do so.
In order to make this macaroni and cheese recipe, you’re only going to need a few crucial ingredients. You’ll need 2 cups of small elbow macaroni, 3 tablespoons of Cabot Salted Butter, 3 tablespoons of King Arthur flour, ¼ teaspoon of dry mustard, a pinch of ground red pepper for a little extra kick, one dash of Worcestershire sauce, 2 cups of whole milk, 16 ounces of Cabot Sharp Cheddar, Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar, or a mixture of Cabot Premium White Oak Cheddar, Cabot Alpine Cheddar and Cabot Farmhouse Reserve Cheddar. Lastly, you can also add a few buttered breadcrumbs for some additional flavor and crunch.
We’re big fans of comfort food here at Cabot, and we definitely feel that this macaroni and cheese recipe is one of the best comfort food dishes that we have listed on our site. Because it offers a unique blend of some of our most delicious and savory cheeses, this particular recipe boasts an enticing assortment of flavors that’s tough to beat. We’re convinced that you and your family are going to love this dish, but we want to hear your thoughts after you try it—please make sure to rate and review it. Also, feel free to share this recipe on Facebook and Twitter so that even more people can try it out for themselves.
- 2 cups small elbow macaroni
3 tablespoons Cabot Salted Butter
3 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- ¼ teaspoon dry mustard
- Pinch ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups whole milk, heated
16 ounces Cabot Sharp Cheddar, Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar or a blend of Cabot White Oak Cheddar, Cabot Alpine Cheddar, and Cabot Farmhouse Reserve Cheddar, grated & divided* (about 4 cups)
- ½ cup buttered bread crumbs
- COOK and drain macaroni according to package directions.
- PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Butter a 2½ quart baking dish or coat with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- MELT butter in large saucepan over medium heat . Sprinkle flour into butter and whisk constantly until you have thick, smooth paste with nutty aroma, about 5 minutes.
- ADD mustard, red pepper and Worcestershire. Gradually whisk in milk and continue stirring until sauce thickens and returns to simmer.
- REDUCE heat to low. Add 3 cups of cheese and stir until melted. Add macaroni, stirring until well coated. Pour into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle remaining cheese evenly over top, followed by crumbs. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden on top and bubbling throughout.
- per serving
- 16 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 16 grams
- 22 milligrams
- 345 milligrams
- 19 grams
- 1 grams
- 20 grams
- 420 milligrams