Mini Grilled Cheese with Bacon, Avocado and Caramelized Onion
For anyone who even remotely likes grilled cheese, this grilled cheese with bacon, avocado, and caramelized onion recipe is going to have you craving grilled cheese every day – perhaps even multiple times a day! As if those amazing ingredients weren’t enough, it gets even better when served with tomato soup or sauce on the side for dipping. Yes, this is a grilled cheese made in heaven! You’ll want to spread the grilled cheese love by sharing this recipe with family and friends on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and Twitter.
Begin by cooking bacon in a skillet over medium heat and then place on a paper towel to absorb excess fat. Wipe out skillet with a paper towel and sauté onions over medium heat, until caramelized. Remove from heat and place in a dish.
Add 2 slices of bread to the skillet over medium heat and top each slice with a thin slice of Cabot White Oak Cheddar (or your favorite Cabot cheese flavor). Then layer half of a bacon slice, ¼ of the onions, and ¼ of the avocado on each slice, and top with another slice of bread. Heat until browned on the bottom and cheese begins to melt. Flip over and heat until bottom slice is browned and toasted. Remove the two sandwiches and repeat.
Heat tomato soup or tomato sauce and serve with grilled cheese sandwiches for dipping. Enjoy!
For a sweet and savory grilled cheese sandwich, try our Nectarine & Bacon Jam Grilled Cheese. Cabot is a co-operative of over 800 farm families who all work diligently to produce only the highest quality products. We’d love for you to share your thoughts about this grilled cheese with avocado, bacon, and caramelized onion so, if you could rate and review the recipe once you’ve tried it, we’d really appreciate it!
- COOK bacon over medium heat, in a skillet, then place on a paper towel to absorb excess fat. Drain excess fat.
- WIPE out skillet with a paper towel. Sauté onions over medium heat, until caramelized.
- REMOVE from heat and place onions in a small side dish.
- ADD 2 slices of bread to the skillet over medium heat. Top with ¼ cheddar on each slice. Layer 1 slice halved bacon, ¼ of the onions and ¼ of the avocado on each slice. Top with another slice bread. Heat until browned on the bottom and cheese begins to melt. Flip and heat until bottom slice is browned and toasted. Remove the two sandwiches and repeat.
- HEAT tomato soup or tomato sauce.
- SLICE the crust off the grilled cheeses and then slice in half (we prefer crust off because you can see all the deliciousness inside the sandwiches).
- TOP with freshly ground pepper.
- Serve the sandwiches on a platter with tomato soup/sauce in a small dish for dipping. As the party host, you have permission to eat the crusts, there will be some goodness in there.