Quick Shaker Cheese Bread Pudding
Breakfast & Brunch
With just 6 simple ingredients, this cheese bread recipe is a cinch to make. Created by Beth Kennett at Liberty Hill Farm in Rochester, Vermont, it’s thought to have originated with the Shakers in a village in Maine. Beth says it’s also called “Shapleigh Pudding” after Shapleigh, Maine, where her ancestors settled in the 1600s. Somewhere between a strata and a cheesy spoon bread, this ode to dairy is a favorite at her farm and, we’re predicting, will soon become a favorite in your home too. Make this quick cheese bread and share the recipe with your friends and family on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter and Instagram.
With how easy this cheese bread pudding is to make, we have a feeling you’ll be able to make it in your sleep in no time! Start by buttering one side of each slice of bread and then place the buttered sides together to make 4 “butter sandwiches”. Cut the sandwiches into quarters.
Butter a 2-quart casserole and arrange two of the quartered sandwiches in the bottom of the casserole. Sprinkle with half of the grated Cabot Sharp Cheddar cheese and arrange the remaining two sandwiches on top. Cover with the remaining cheese.
Whisk together the milk, eggs, mustard and Worcestershire sauce in a medium bowl and then pour over bread in the casserole. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Preheat oven to 325°F. Bake for 1 hour, until top is bubbly and brown, and serve immediately.
Bread puddings are a classic comfort food. If you loved this Shaker cheese bread, try our Savory Cheese Bread Puddings next. As a co-operative of over 800 farm families, Cabot is dedicated to working hard to ensure that all of our dairy products are made using high quality ingredients. We’re confident that you and your family will love this Shaker bread recipe and would love to hear your feedback after you try it, so please consider rating and reviewing it.
- 8 slices firm white bread, buttered well
8 ounces Cabot Sharp Cheddar, grated (about 2 cups)
- 2 ½ cups milk*
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- BUTTER the bread on one side, then place buttered sides together to make 4 “butter sandwiches.” Cut sandwiches into quarters.
- BUTTER a 2-quart casserole. Arrange two of the quartered sandwiches in the bottom of the casserole. Sprinkle with half the cheese. Arrange the remaining two sandwiches on top, then cover with the remaining cheese.
- WHISK together the milk, eggs, mustard and Worcestershire sauce in a medium bowl. Pour over bread in the casserole. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- PREHEAT the oven to 325°F, when ready to bake. Bake for 1 hour, until top is bubbly and brown. Serve immediately.
- per serving
- 23.5 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 13.5 grams
- 157 milligrams
- 658 milligrams
- 32 grams
- 1 grams
- 18 grams
- 313 milligrams