Rotini with Ground Beef & Spinach Recipe
Pasta, ground beef, spinach, fresh basil, cheddar cheese. The combination of these flavorful ingredients makes an extremely delicious dish that is sure to satisfy your craving for comfort food, especially during the fall and winter months. What makes it even more appealing? It’s super quick and easy to make, making it a fantastic choice for busy weeknights, as well as for special occasions. After making this rotini pasta with ground beef, be sure to share the recipe with friends and family on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and Twitter.
The beauty of this recipe is that you don’t need a ton of ingredients and most of them you will likely already have on hand! You’ll need: 1 box of rotini, penne rigate, or elbow pasta, 1 cup chopped onion, 3 cloves of garlic (minced), 1 pound of lean ground beef, 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce (no salt added), 1 teaspoon dried oregano, 1 (10-ounce) package spinach leaves (note that a 10-ounce package of frozen chopped spinach that has been thawed and well-drained can be substituted for fresh spinach), ¼ cup fresh shredded basil (or 1 tablespoon dried), ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, and 1½ ounces Cabot Lite50 Sharp Cheddar or Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar.
While pasta is cooking, heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Cook the onion and garlic for approximately 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then add beef, stirring and breaking into pieces and cooking until it’s no longer pink.
Next, stir in the tomato sauce and oregano. Cook another 5 minutes, stirring often. Add the spinach, basil, and red pepper flakes, and cook for another 3 minutes. If desired, season with salt.
Drain the pasta and add to the skillet, tossing with the beef mixture. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese, put on plates, and dig in!
Looking for another easy, delicious, and comforting meal? Try our Make-Ahead Spaghetti Pie. You won’t be disappointed! Cabot is a cooperative of New England and New York farm families who continuously strive to produce the best dairy products around. If you enjoy this rotini recipe, we’d really appreciate it if you could rate and review it when you have the chance!
1 box Dreamfields Rotini, Penne Rigate or Elbow Macaroni
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound (90%) lean ground beef
- 1 can (8 ounces) no salt added tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 package (10 ounces) spinach leaves, shredded (frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained may be substituted)
- ¼ cup fresh basil, shredded or 1 tablespoon dried
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt (optional)
½ box Dreamfields Rotini, Penne Rigate or Elbows Macaroni
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- ½ pound (90%) lean ground beef
- ½ can (4 ounces) no salt added tomato sauce
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ package (5 ounces) spinach leaves, shredded
- ⅛ cup fresh basil, shredded or ½ tablespoon dried
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt (optional)
Cooking for fewer people? To make only 3 servings simply cut the ingredients in half (as below) and use a medium sized skillet. Otherwise the cooking directions remain the same.
- COOK pasta according to package directions.
- HEAT oil in large heavy skillet over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic 5 minutes or until the onion is soft and translucent, stirring occasionally.
- ADD beef and cook until no longer pink, stirring and breaking beef into pieces.
- STIR in tomato sauce and oregano. Continue cooking 5 minutes or until the sauce has reached a simmer, stirring frequently.
- ADD spinach, basil and red pepper flakes; continue cooking 3 minutes or until the spinach is wilted and the sauce is heated through. Season with salt, if desired.
- DRAIN pasta. Add to skillet; toss with beef mixture. Sprinkle with cheddar.
Freezing unused portions of the sauce portion of this recipe is recommended. Sauce only (excluding pasta) may be frozen in airtight containers, thawed in the refrigerator and reheated slowly in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
- per serving
- 10.5 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 4 grams
- 53 milligrams
- 134 milligrams
- 54 grams
- 8 grams
- 27.5 grams
- 135 milligrams