Rustic Cheddar Crackers
16 servings, 6 crackers each
Serve these as a crunchy nibble on their own, or as a partner for soup or chili. Once you have this lactose free recipe down, try additions like chopped pecans, minced sundried tomatoes, dried rosemary or toasted sesame seeds.
6 ounces Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar, Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar or Cabot Farmhouse Reserve Cheddar, grated (about 1 ½ cups)
¾ cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
⅓ cup King Arthur Whole Wheat Flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold water
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- PLACE rack in middle position and preheat oven to 375°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- STIR together cheese, white and whole wheat flours and salt, fork in a large bowl until well blended.
- MAKE well in center of dry ingredients; add water and oil and stir, pulling dry ingredients into wet until combined. Briefly knead dough into ball.
- DIVIDE dough in half. On floured work surface, adding more flour as needed to keep dough from sticking, firmly roll one piece of dough into very thin sheet, as large as baking sheet. Lift onto prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining piece of dough.
- CUT dough with pizza cutter, pastry cutter, or knife into 1-by-2-inch rectangles or other shapes or sizes as desired.
- BAKE (one sheet at a time if necessary) for 10 to 12 minutes or until well browned and completely crisp. (Edge crackers will brown first, so remove those with metal spatula and return remaining crackers to oven to finish baking, watching carefully.)
- COOL completely, then store in zip-close bag or other airtight container.
- Serving Size
- 6 crackers
- per serving
- 6 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 2.5 grams
- 11 milligrams
- 141 milligrams
- 8 grams
- 0.5 grams
- 4 grams
- 78 milligrams