Scalloped Potatoes with Greek Yogurt & Cheddar
Interested in trying an au gratin style dish? You and your family will absolutely love our recipe for healthy scalloped potatoes. The recipe makes 12 servings, making it an excellent side dish for a family dinner. You’ll definitely be pleased with these potatoes, as they’re completely smothered in tasty Cabot Sharp Cheddar, thyme and decadent Cabot Greek Yogurt. If you think your friends and family might enjoy our recipe, please share it with them on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and Twitter.
If you’re just learning how to cook, our healthy scalloped potatoes are a great starting point. Preparing everything is as simple as slicing up a few potatoes, adding them to a baking dish with some of our special yogurt mixture, and baking. If you’re interested in making the recipe, make sure to collect the following ingredients: Russet potatoes (enough for 10 cups of sliced potatoes), cooking spray, two cups of warm water, Cabot 2% Percent Plain Greek Yogurt (or you can go with Cabot Plain Greek Yogurt, if you’re looking for a richer yogurt), Cabot Salted Butter, King Arthur flour, minced garlic, thyme leaves, salt, ground black pepper, and Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar or Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar.
Potatoes sure can hit the spot. If you’d like to try another potato dish that also features plenty of cheddar cheese, then make sure to give our Firecracker Smashed Potatoes a try. Cabot is a co-operative of over 800 farm families. We firmly believe that you should only serve the best to your family and friends at meal time—that’s why we work hard every day to ensure that all of our dairy products are made using the finest ingredients. We’re confident that you’ll love our healthy scalloped potatoes recipe, but we’d love to hear your thoughts about the dish. After trying it, please rate and review the recipe.
- 10 cups peeled and sliced Russet potatoes (⅛-inch-thick), about 8 medium-sized potatoes
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups warm water
1 cup Cabot Lowfat Plain Greek Yogurt or Cabot Plain Greek Yogurt
3 tablespoons Cabot Salted Butter
3 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1 ½ teaspoons minced garlic (1 large clove)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped, or 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crumbled
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
8 ounces Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar or Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar, grated (about 2 cups)
- BOIL large pot of water. Add sliced potatoes to boiling water and cook for about 5 – 7 minutes or until potatoes are just tender when pierced with knife. Drain well.
- PREHEAT oven to 375°F. Coat 9-by-13-inch or similar-sized shallow baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- WHISK together water and yogurt in medium bowl until well combined.
- MELT butter in medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add flour and whisk until mixture is bubbling and just beginning to color, about 2 minutes. Add garlic, stirring until fragrant, then gradually whisk in yogurt mixture; increase heat to medium and cook, stirring for several minutes until sauce is simmering, smooth and thickened.
- REMOVE from heat and stir in thyme, salt and pepper.
- ARRANGE about one third of potatoes in even layer over bottom of baking dish. Top with one third of sauce followed by one third of cheese. Repeat with two more layers of potatoes, sauce and cheese.
- COAT sheet of foil with cooking spray and cover dish tightly, coated-side-down.
- BAKE for 30 minutes. Uncover dish and bake for about 20 minutes longer or until top is golden and potatoes are tender when pierced with knife. Let stand for about 10 minutes before serving.
- Serving Size
- 1/12 of recipe
- per serving
- 9.5 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 5.5 grams
- 28 milligrams
- 436 milligrams
- 10 grams
- 0.5 grams
- 7.5 grams
- 172 milligrams