Squash & Cheddar Casserole
- 1 pound yellow summer squash or zucchini (or a combination), sliced
- 1 large onion, julienned
1 stick (8 tablespoons) Cabot Salted Butter, cut into pieces
- ½ cup milk
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
4 ounces Cabot Sharp Cheddar, Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar or Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar, grated (about 1 cup)
- 10 saltine crackers, crushed, or ⅔ cup panko breadcrumbs
- PREHEAT oven to 300°F.
- BRING large pot of salted water to boil; add squash and onion and cook just until they begin to soften, about 3 minutes.
- POUR through colander and let stand to drain thoroughly.
- TRANSFER to large mixing bowl. Add three fourths of butter and toss until melted. Add milk, eggs, sugar, salt and pepper and mix well. Stir in cheese. Pour mixture into 1 ½-quart casserole.
- BAKE for 45 to 55 minutes or until set all the way to center.
- REMOVE from oven and dot top of casserole with the remaining butter. Sprinkle with cracker or Panko crumbs. Return to oven until crumbs are golden and lightly crisped, about 5 minutes longer.
- per serving
Amount/Serving % Daily Value
- 17.5 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 10 grams
- 92 milligrams
- 322 milligrams
- 9 grams
- 1 grams
- 7 grams
- 141 milligrams