Tomato, Spinach & Cheddar Scones
Give boring biscuits the boot and make these cheddar scones! Cabot’s cheddar, tomato and spinach scones make for a delicious side or a yummy snack. You can also try tucking a poached egg in the middle for a light meal! There are so many great ways to enjoy these scones, so get to it and make them – then share the savory scone recipe with friends and family on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and Twitter.
To make 8 cheddar scones, place the oven rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat the oven to 425ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or stack two sheets together) to keep the bottom of the scones from over-browning.
Next, combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl, whisking to blend. Then stir in cheese* (Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar, Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar or Cabot Lite50 Sharp Cheddar), spinach and tomatoes. In a small bowl, whisk together the Cabot Plain Greek Yogurt, egg and oil until well combined. Stir into flour mixture until all ingredients are well combined.
Turn the dough out onto a floured cutting board and sprinkle the top with more flour, kneading about six times. Press dough into a 1-inch-thick circle that’s about 7 inches in diameter and cut the circle into 8 wedges. Transfer scones to the prepared ungreased baking sheet and bake in the upper third of the oven for 10 to 14 minutes (or until golden). Slide spatula under bottoms to release, if necessary, and serve warm or at room temperature.
*Want to spice these cheddar scones up a bit? Add Cabot Hot Habanero Cheddar.
If you loved the sundried tomatoes in these scones and you love bacon, you’ll want to check out our recipe for Bacon, Sundried Tomato & Cheddar Scones. Did you know that Cabot is a co-operative of farm families who all work diligently to produce only the highest quality products? We’d love for you to share your thoughts about these cheddar scones so, if you could rate and review this savory scone recipe once you’ve given it a try, we’d really appreciate it!
1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, fluffed with whisk before measuring
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
8 ounces Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar, Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar or Cabot Lite50 Sharp Cheddar, grated (about 2 cups)
- ½ cup chopped fresh baby spinach leaves
- ¼ cup chopped moist sundried tomatoes*
½ cup Cabot Lowfat Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- PLACE rack in upper third of oven and preheat oven to 425º. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or stack two sheets together (to keep bottom of scones from over-browning).
- COMBINE flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and salt, in a mixing bowl, whisking to blend. Stir in cheese, spinach and tomatoes.
- WHISK together yogurt, egg and oil in a small bowl until well combined. Stir into flour mixture until no dry ingredients remain.
- TURN dough out onto floured cutting board. Sprinkle top with more flour and knead about six times. Press dough into 1-inch-thick circle (about 7 inches in diameter). Cut circle into 8 wedges. Transfer scones to prepared ungreased baking sheet.
- BAKE in upper third of oven for 10 to 14 minutes or until golden. Slide spatula under bottoms to release if necessary. Serve warm or at room temperature.
*If your sundried tomatoes seem leathery, cover them with boiling water and let stand for a few minutes until softened, then drain and chop. If substituting oil-packed sundried tomatoes, blot excess oil with paper towels.
- per serving
- 13.5 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 6 grams
- 54 milligrams
- 413 milligrams
- 17 grams
- 1 grams
- 11 grams
- 271 milligrams