Apple Crisp French Toast Casserole
- 6 cups of cubed Italian or French bread
- 6 eggs
- ¾ cup milk
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 medium apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 2 – 2½ tablespoons brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
⅓ cup Cabot Unsalted Butter, cold
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup flour
- ½ cup old fashioned rolled oats
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- BUTTER the bottom of a 9-inch square baking dish. Set aside.
- TOSS together chopped apples, brown sugar and ground cinnamon. Set aside.
- WHISK together eggs, milk, heavy whipping cream, brown sugar, ground cinnamon and ground nutmeg until combined. Set aside.
- CUT the bread loaf into approximately 1 inch cubes. Add about half of the bread cubes to the bottom of the baking dish. The bread should cover the bottom. Add about ⅓ of the chopped apples distributed evenly on top of bread layer. Then add the rest of the bread over the apples. Pour the egg mixture over the bread and apples. Add the rest of the apples on top.
- COVER with a plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- MAKE the topping: Add brown sugar, flour, rolled oats and cinnamon to a bowl. Cut the butter into the mixture using a butter knife, pastry cutter or fork. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- PREHEAT the oven to 350°F.
- SPRINKLE the topping over the apples.
- BAKE for 45-50 minutes or until the topping is golden brown. Cool slightly. Serve with maple syrup or caramel sauce.
- per serving
Amount/Serving % Daily Value
- 14 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 7 grams
- 150 milligrams
- 310 milligrams
- 52 grams
- 3 grams
- 23 grams
- 10 grams
- 100 milligrams