Bacon Cheese Sauce with Cheddar
Dips, Spreads & Dressings
Looking for the absolute best cheese sauce to serve over baked potatoes? You’ve come to the right place! Two delicious ingredients – cooked, crumbled bacon and Cabot Sharp Cheddar – come together in this recipe, creating a spectacularly flavorful bacon cheese sauce that’s just perfect to pour over baked potatoes. Once you make this bacon cheese sauce, you just might never want to have baked potatoes any other way! Share the goodness of this recipe with friends and family on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and Twitter.
This recipe makes about 2 cups of bacon cheese sauce, for which you’ll need Cabot Unsalted Butter, all-purpose flour, fat-free or regular milk, salt, pepper, garlic powder, Cabot Sharp Cheddar, and cooked, crumbled bacon. First, you’ll melt the butter over medium heat. Then stir in flour to make a roux and whisk in milk until smooth. Add in seasonings and increase heat to medium-high. Bring to a simmer and stir constantly until the mixture thickens. Remove from heat and stir in cheese until smooth. Just before serving, stir in bacon and spoon over baked potatoes. If you’d like, sprinkle with chopped chives. Yum!
Of course, there are many other wonderful ways you can use this sauce. Dip french fries or tortilla chips into it, or pour it over hash browns or pasta.
Want to try another scrumptious topping that includes bacon? Check out our Bacon & Caramelized Onion Greek Yogurt Topping! With just a few basic ingredients, this topping is quick to make and is absolutely delicious atop a variety of vegetables, including broccoli and roasted squash. As a co-operative of New England and New York farm families, Cabot is dedicated to creating the highest quality products and recipes that best showcase the fresh flavors of our products. Please share your thoughts about our bacon cheese sauce with us after you’ve tried it by rating and reviewing it.
2 tablespoons Cabot Unsalted Butter
2 tablespoons King Arthur All-Purpose Flour
1 ¼ cups fat-free or regular milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper (white pepper if desired)
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
6 ounces of Cabot Sharp Cheddar, shredded (about 1 ½ cups)
- ½ cup cooked crumbled bacon
- MELT butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- ADD flour, and stir to make a roux.
- WHISK in milk until smooth, scraping roux out of the corners of the saucepan with a heat-proof spatula if necessary. Add salt, pepper and garlic powder and increase heat to medium high. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens, 2 to 4 minutes.
- REMOVE from heat and stir in shredded Sharp cheddar cheese until smooth.
- STIR in crispy, cooked bacon, just before serving.
- SPOON over baked potatoes.
- per serving
- 13 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 7 grams
- 40 milligrams
- 360 milligrams
- 4 grams
- 0 grams
- 10 grams
- 200 milligrams