Brown Rice Risotto with Peas & Cheddar
Our lactose free brown rice risotto made with Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar, herbs and sweet peas is creamy, rich and filling, just like traditional risottos, but with a minimal amount of stirring and pot-watching.
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 ½ cups short grain brown rice
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 2 ½ cups reduced-sodium broth, such as chicken or vegetable
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 ½ cup frozen sweet peas
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs, such as chives, parsley and dill
6 ounces Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar, shredded and divided (about 1 ½ cups)
- HEAT oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and shallot and cook, stirring often until softened and just beginning to brown, 1 to 3 minutes. Stir in rice and cook, stirring until the rice grains start to get translucent in spots, about 2 minutes.
- STIR in wine and cook, stirring often until the wine has mostly evaporated, 2 to 3 minutes.
- STIR in broth, nutmeg, salt and pepper, increase heat to high and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- COVER and reduce heat to low and simmer undisturbed until most of the liquid has been absorbed, 38 to 42 minutes.
- REMOVE from heat, stir in peas, herbs and 1cup of cheese (4 ounces), cover and let sit 5 minutes off the heat.
- STIR a final time and serve sprinkled with the remaining ¼ cup cheese and more freshly ground pepper.
- per serving
- 19.5 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 8.5 grams
- 46 milligrams
- 701 milligrams
- 68 grams
- 5.5 grams
- 20 grams
- 342 milligrams