Cabot Cheddar Mashed Potatoes
Our cheddar mashed potatoes recipe, which makes six servings, is a great fall and winter side-dish that’s rich, flavorful and truly satisfying. Our recipe features a lovely combination of russet potatoes and cheddar cheeses, and it works well when paired with roasted turkey or pork and a side of grilled vegetables like asparagus or peppers. We’re confident that you and your family will love our recipe, and we hope that after you try it, you will share it with your friends and family on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest. Remember to take plenty of pictures!
Our cheddar mashed potatoes recipe should only take about 45 minutes to an hour to prepare. As for the ingredients, you’ll need two pounds of Russet potatoes (peeled and diced up), roughly a cup of half-and-half or milk, Cabot Salted Butter, salt, ground white pepper or ground black pepper, and ten ounces of Cabot Sharp Cheddar, Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar, Cabot Horseradish Cheddar or Cabot Hot Habanero Cheddar (grated). You can’t have mashed potatoes without gravy–so if you’re also interested in making some fresh gravy from scratch, then check our recipe for sausage gravy here. Unlike many other gravy recipes, this particular recipe calls for the addition of onions, sausages, sour cream and chicken broth to make the gravy.
Would you like to try another mashed potatoes dish? Then give our recipe for Greek yogurt mashed potatoes a whirl—we’re confident you’ll love them! Here at Cabot, we take a great deal of pride in making our award-winning dairy products. We firmly believe in only using natural, high-quality ingredients to make our cheeses and yogurts. We know that you and your family will love our cheddar mashed potatoes recipe, but we would love to hear your feedback. After trying it, please rate and review the recipe whenever you have the chance.
- 2 pounds russet (Idaho) potatoes (4-6 medium), peeled and cut into large chunks
- ½ – ¾ cup half-and-half or milk
2 tablespoons Cabot Salted Butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper or ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
10 ounces Cabot Sharp Cheddar, Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar, Cabot Horseradish Cheddar or Cabot Hot Habanero Cheddar, grated (about 2 ½ cups)
- COVER potatoes with water, in large saucepan.
- BRING to simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to maintain steady simmer, partially cover pan and cook until potatoes are very tender when pierced with skewer, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain thoroughly.
- HEAT half-and-half or milk in small saucepan or microwave.
- MASH potatoes with potato ricer or masher, in large bowl. Add butter, salt and pepper.
- A few tablespoons at a time, vigorously stir in enough of hot half-and-half or milk to make potatoes fluffy but not soupy. Stir in cheese. (If potatoes have cooled too much, re-heat in microwave for 1 to 2 minutes, or cover and set over pan of barely simmering water for up to 30 minutes.)
- per serving
- 20 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 35 grams
- 63 milligrams
- 765 milligrams
- 32 grams
- 3 grams
- 15 grams
- 378 milligrams