Caramel Apple & Cheddar Ice Cream
Pull out your ice cream maker (or go get one if you don’t already have one) and get ready to make a truly decadent and unique homemade ice cream. While this cheese ice cream recipe takes some time to put together, as you’ll be making both the caramel apple slices and ice cream from scratch, we can’t stress enough that your efforts will be well-rewarded! After all, apples and cheddar are a match made in heaven – and when you add caramel and ice cream to the mix, you have true dessert bliss. Try this apple ice cream recipe out and see for yourself. Then share it with your friends and family on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter and Instagram.
To make the caramel apple slices, you’ll need heavy cream, sugar, Cabot Salted Butterand a Granny Smith, Honey Crisp or apple of your choice. Gather your ingredients and follow the directions in the recipe instructions below.
To make the cheddar cheese ice cream, you’ll need your ice cream maker and the following ingredients: heavy cream, whole milk, sugar, pure vanilla extract, eggs and egg yolks and grated Cabot Sharp Cheddar or Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar. Follow the detailed instructions below and add the caramel apple pieces and cheddar during the last few minutes of freezing time.
Now that you have your ice cream maker out, why not use it to make even more delicious ice cream flavors? Try this amazingCheddar S’more Ice Cream next. As a co-operative of farm families, Cabot is dedicated to working hard to ensure that all of our dairy products are made using high quality ingredients. We’re confident that you and your family will love this apple and cheese ice cream and would love to hear your feedback after you try it, so please consider rating and reviewing the recipe.
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup sugar
1 ½ tablespoons Cabot Salted Butter
- 1 Granny Smith, Honey Crisp or apple variety of your choice
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
4 to 6 ounces Cabot Sharp Cheddar or Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar, grated (1 to 1½ cups)
To make caramel apple slices:
- HEAT cream in microwave or on stovetop; set aside to keep warm.
- PLACE sugar in very clean heavy saucepan over low to medium-low heat; stir constantly with whisk or fork until sugar has melted into syrup and is light gold in color.
- STOP stirring and continue to cook sugar, swirling pan for even cooking, until syrup is a dark golden amber; immediately remove from heat.
- SLOWLY and carefully pour hot cream down side of pan into syrup. The hot syrup will bubble and splatter, so use oven mitt and have long wooden spoon or high-heat spatula on hand. With spoon or spatula, stir caramel until smooth.
- STIR in butter and cook over low heat, stirring, until butter is well blended into sauce. Cover to keep warm.
- CORE apple with apple corer or melon baller; trim off and discard stem and bottom ends, then cut apple crosswise into 6 to 8 slices. (Alternatively, slice apple first, then remove cores from each slice with paring knife.)
- DIP each apple slice into warm caramel and place on plate. Tongs are recommended. Scrape any remaining caramel over apple slices. Chill, then cut into ¼ to ½-inch pieces.
To make ice cream:
- COMBINE cream, milk, sugar and vanilla In heavy saucepan. Heat mixture over medium-high heat until it almost reaches a boil. Reduce to maintain gentle simmer and let cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes until sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat.
- PLACE eggs and egg yolks in medium bowl and whisk together well. Whisking constantly, slowly add hot cream mixture to eggs until smooth and beginning to thicken.
- SLOWLY pour mixture back into saucepan and whisk well. Place over medium heat and whisk constantly for 5 to 10 minutes or just until mixture is thick enough to coat back of spoon or registers 170 to 175°F on candy thermometer (do not let come to simmer).
- TRANSFER to bowl and let cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate for several hours until well chilled.
- FREEZE in ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions. Add caramel apple pieces and cheddar during last few minutes of freezing time.
- per serving
- 35 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 21 grams
- 209 milligrams
- 167 milligrams
- 33 grams
- 8 grams
- 194 milligrams