Cauliflower and Hamburger Casserole
This cheesy hamburger and cauliflower casserole is the best comfort food for feeding a crowd! Made with layers of browned ground beef, gluten-free cheese sauce made with Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar, carrots, onions, and cauliflower, this dish is packed with incredible flavor. While we doubt you’ll have leftovers, if there do happen to be some, simply pop a serving in the microwave to make a comforting (and gluten-free) lunch! After making this cauliflower casserole, be sure to share the recipe with friends and family on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and Twitter.
Gather all of the ingredients listed below and let’s get started – the sooner you get this in the oven, the sooner you can eat and enjoy! First, preheat your oven to 350°F, coat a 9 by 13-inch (or 2½-quart) casserole dish with cooking spray, and bring 1 to 2 inches of water to a boil in a large saucepan fitted with a steamer basket.
Cook the beef and the vegetables according to the recipe instructions below. While the vegetables and sauce are cooking, steam cauliflower until it’s just barely tender and set aside.
Make the cheese sauce as directed below. Remove mixture from heat once it bubbles and thickens and stir in 8 ounces Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar and pepper.
To assemble the casserole, layer half of the cauliflower in the bottom of the casserole dish, top with half of the beef mixture, and then pour on half of the cheese sauce. Repeat with the remaining cauliflower, beef, and cheese sauce and top with the remaining 4 ounces shredded cheese. Bake until bubbling and the cauliflower is tender, about 20 to 25 minutes, and let cool 10 minutes before serving.
Can’t get enough casseroles? Then you’ll have to try our Easy Turkey-Potato Casserole or our White Chicken, Cheddar, and Broccoli Casserole. Both are extremely tasty and satisfying! Cabot is a cooperative of over 800 farm families who continuously strive to produce the best dairy products around. If you enjoy this hamburger and cauliflower casserole, we’d really appreciate it if you could rate and review the recipe!
- 2 pounds ground beef, preferably 90% lean
1 tablespoon Cabot Salted Butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon dry thyme
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- 1 large head cauliflower, cored and cut into small florets
- 2 cups milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch
12 ounces Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar, shredded and divided (about 3 cups)
- ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
- PREHEAT oven to 350°. Coat a 9 by 13-inch (or 2½-quart) casserole dish with cooking spray. Bring 1 to 2 inches of water to a boil in a large saucepan fitted with a steamer basket. Steam cauliflower until just barely tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Set aside.
- COAT a large non-stick skillet with cooking spray and set over medium-high heat. Add beef, and cook, stirring and crumbling the beef with a wooden spoon until browned and no longer pink, 5 to 7 minutes.
- TRANSFER the beef to a medium bowl and scrape any moisture out of the skillet with a silicone spatula.
- RETURN the skillet to medium-high heat and add butter. Swirl the skillet to melt the butter. Add onion, carrot, celery and salt and cook, stirring often until the vegetables are softening and the onion becomes translucent, 4 to 6 minutes. Add paprika, thyme and pepper and cook, stirring until the thyme becomes fragrant, 30 to 90 seconds. Add tomato paste and stir into the vegetables. Add red wine and Worcestershire sauce and cook, stirring until the wine is almost evaporated. Add broth and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Cook until the vegetables are soft and the sauce very thick, 4 to 6 minutes.
- ADD the cooked beef back into this mixture. Set aside.
- HEAT 1½ cups milk in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat until steaming. Whisk the remaining ½ cup milk and cornstarch in a small dish. Whisk the cornstarch slurry into the steaming milk and bring mixture to a simmer, whisking constantly over the heat. When the mixture bubbles and thickens, remove from the heat and stir in 8 ounces of the shredded cheese and pepper.
- ASSEMBLE the casserole: Layer half of the cauliflower in the bottom of the casserole dish. Top with half of the beef mixture. Pour on half of the cheese sauce. Repeat with the remaining cauliflower, beef mixture and cheese sauce. Top with the remaining 4 ounces shredded cheese. Bake until bubbling and the cauliflower is tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.
- Serving Size
- per serving
- 27 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 14 grams
- 125 milligrams
- 690 milligrams
- 17 grams
- 3 grams
- 38 grams
- 434 milligrams