Cheddar Ale Soup
Soups Stews & Chili
This yummy Cheddar Ale Soup is a perfect game day recipe for any crowd. Enjoy this free downloadable Game Day cookbook now.
When the weather turns chilly, a hearty homemade soup can really hit the spot. If you’re looking for a new soup recipe to try, consider making our cheddar ale soup. This soup’s as creamy as it gets—it features a healthy helping of Cabot Salted Butter, along with milk, Cabot Sharp Cheddar and even some ale! We suggest garnishing the soup with some crumbled bacon as well. Since the dish is so rich, it works wonderfully as a main entrée—pair it with some cider (or ale) along with a nice healthy salad and you’ll have one extremely tasty dinner. If you think your friends and family might enjoy making this recipe, considering sharing it with them on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter and Instagram.
Ready to make our cheddar ale soup recipe? While preparation is pretty straightforward, the list of ingredients is pretty extensive. You’ll need four slices of bacon, Cabot Salted Butter, minced onion, minced carrot, minced celery, a bay leaf, King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, a bottle of ale, low-fat milk, fat-free chicken broth, dry mustard, Cabot Sharp Cheddar (or Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar or Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar), and some salt and ground black pepper. The directions below highlight everything you need to know to make the soup, but just remember: when adding the ale, pour it in gradually. As you do so, whisk it in, and stir until the soup begins to bubble up. If the soup is fairly thick, then you know you’ve added enough ale.
Interested in trying another soup that features plenty of cheese? Then consider trying our Cabot Cheddar Cheese Soup. We’re confident you’ll love it. Cabot is a cooperative of over 800 farm families—collectively, we’ve been making award-winning cheeses for generations. We understand just how important it is to only serve the best to your family at dinner time—that’s why we work hard to ensure that all our dairy products are made using high quality, natural ingredients. We hope you enjoyed our cheddar ale soup recipe. We’d love to hear your thoughts about it. After trying the recipe, feel free to rate and review it.
- 4 slices bacon
4 tablespoons Cabot Salted Butter
- ½ cup minced onion
- ¼ cup minced carrot
- ¼ cup minced celery
- 1 small bay leaf
⅓ cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle ale
- 2½ cups lowfat (1%) milk
- 1 (14-ounce) can 99% fat-free chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 pound Cabot Sharp Cheddar, Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar or Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar, grated (about 4 cups)
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- COOK bacon in a skillet or microwave, until crisp; crumble and set aside.
- MELT butter in large saucepan over medium heat; add onion, carrot, celery and bay leaf and cook, stirring often, until vegetables are translucent and softened, about 4 minutes.
- STIR in flour and cook, stirring, about 3 minutes longer.
- WHISK in ale; stirring for about two minutes or until mixture is bubbling and thickened. Whisk in milk, chicken broth and dry mustard. Bring soup to simmer, stirring often so it doesn’t scorch on bottom of pan.
- LOWER the heat and add cheese a handful at a time; stir until cheese is melted and soup is hot, but do not let soup boil.
- REMOVE from heat, remove and discard bay leaf and season with salt and pepper.
- SERVE topped with crumbled bacon.
- per serving
- 35 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 19.5 grams
- 998 milligrams
- 17 grams
- 0.5 grams
- 26 grams
- 673 milligrams