Cheddar and Roasted Pear Canapes
- 4 ripe pears (any kind), peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 24 slices from thin French bread baguette
8 ounces Cabot Sharp Cheddar, or Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar
- thinly slivered fresh sage leaves
- PLACE rack in lower third of oven and preheat oven to 400ºF.
- TOSS together pears, sugar and oil in 8-inch pyrex or similar casserole until well combined; spread in even layer. Bake for 15 minutes.
- STIR pears, then return to oven for 10 – 15 minutes longer or until sugar has begun to caramelize and pears are browned. Add vinegar to dish and stir to distribute. Bake pears for 5 minutes longer.
- REMOVE from oven and let cool. (Pears can be prepared up to 1 week ahead and refrigerated until ready to use.)
- TOP each bread round with slice of cheddar. Add heaping teaspoon of roasted pears, sprinkle of pecans and slivers of sage.
- per serving
Amount/Serving % Daily Value
- 16 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 8 grams
- 460 milligrams
- 34 grams
- 4 grams
- 10 grams
- 14 grams