Cheddar Bulgur Risotto
For a twist on the classic risotto, you need to try this bulgur cheddar risotto recipe. Since this method of cooking bulgur wheat (see ingredient note at bottom of recipe) is so rich and creamy, we’re calling it risotto – however, we have some great news: not only is bulgur a whole grain that cooks in under 30 minutes, it only requires about 5 minutes of stirring to achieve the right texture! Toasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds) are tossed in at the end for added crunch and flavor, which we think you’ll love. Once you’ve made it, share the recipe with friends and family on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and Twitter.
To make this not-so-labor-intensive cheddar risotto, you’ll start by heating Cabot Unsalted Butter in a heavy-bottomed Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add shallot and celery and cook, stirring frequently until the shallot begins to brown slightly, about 2 to 4 minutes. Add the bulgur, stirring to coat, then add 2 cups of broth and cover, bringing to a simmer. Reduce heat to low to maintain a simmer and cook, covered, until the bulgur absorbs the liquid and is tender, approximately 15 minutes.
Remove lid, add the remaining cup of broth, thyme, salt, and nutmeg, and increase heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring frequently until the liquid is almost completely absorbed, about 2 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar (or your favorite Cabot cheddar) until completely melted and creamy. Divide among dishes and top each dish with toasted pepitas and chopped fresh parsley.
For another great risotto recipe, try our Brown Rice Risotto with Peas & Cheddar. As a cooperative of over 800 farm families, our mission is to make the highest quality and best tasting dairy products you’ll find. We’d love for you to rate and review this bulgur cheddar risotto recipe once you’ve given it a try!
1 tablespoon Cabot Unsalted Butter
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 stalk celery, minced
- 1 cup coarse bulgur wheat (see ingredient note below)
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken broth, divided
- ½ teaspoon dry thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
6 ounces Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar, shredded (about 1 ½ cups)
- 3 tablespoons toasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- HEAT butter and oil in a heavy-bottomed Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- ADD shallot and celery and cook, stirring often until the shallot is starting to brown slightly, 2 to 4 minutes. Add bulgur and stir to coat. Add 2 cups broth, cover and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low to maintain a simmer.
- COOK covered until the bulgur absorbs the liquid and is tender, about 15 minutes.
- REMOVE lid, add the remaining 1 cup broth, thyme, salt and nutmeg and increase heat to medium-high.
- COOK until the liquid is almost completely absorbed, stirring often, about 2 to 5 minutes.
- REMOVE from the heat and stir in cheddar until completely melted and creamy. Divide among plates or bowls.
- TOP with pumpkin seeds and parsley, dividing evenly.
- *Ingredient note: Bulgur wheat is parboiled cracked whole grain wheat. It comes in varying degrees of fineness. We prefer the toothsome texture of a coarse bulgur for this risotto. Look for it in the bulk bins at your local health food store, or near the rice in large supermarkets.
- per serving
- 23 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 10 grams
- 55 milligrams
- 1110 milligrams
- 36 grams
- 6 grams
- 18 grams
- 362 milligrams