Cheddar Cheese Soup
Soup Stews & Chili
Our creamy cheddar soup is easy to prepare and makes a satisfying light lunch or dinner on any day during the cold winter months. It’s also a fantastic, crowd-pleasing dish that’s great to serve at a game day party or to serve in teacups for sipping at a small, more formal gathering. Leave out toppings, such as bacon crumbles, chives and chopped hard-boiled eggs for guests to sprinkle onto their cups of soup and create their own customized version. This cheese soup is guaranteed to warm everyone up – just be prepared for everyone to go back for seconds! After making, please share the recipe with your family and friends on Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter.
Wondering how to make cheese soup? Begin by melting Cabot Salted Butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Gradually stir in flour, making a smooth paste. Cook, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes.
Whisk in hot milk, half-and-half (or chicken broth) and mustard and continue stirring until the soup thickens and comes to a simmer. Remove from heat and add diced Cabot Sharp Cheddar cheese. Stir until cheese is melted.
Season with salt and pepper. Serve with topped with crumbled bacon or chopped hard-boiled egg, if desired.
For another warming and delicious cheddar cheese soup recipe, try our Tomato-Cheddar Soup next! Cabot is a cooperative of over 800 farm families. We work hard to produce our award-winning dairy products. We’d love to hear your feedback on this cheese soup recipe, so please rate and review it if you have a chance.
4 tablespoons Cabot Salted Butter
½ cup sifted King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups milk, heated
- 2 cups half-and-half or reduced-fat chicken broth, heated
1 ½ cups Cabot Sharp Cheddar, diced
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- ¼ teaspoon each salt and ground black pepper
- Crumbled bacon or chopped hard-boiled egg for garnish (optional)
- MELT butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Gradually stir in flour, making smooth paste. Cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes.
- WHISK in hot milk, cream or chicken broth and mustard; continue stirring until soup thickens and comes to a simmer. Remove from heat and add cheese.Stir just until cheese is melted.
- SEASON with salt and pepper. Served topped with crumbled bacon or chopped egg if desired.
- per serving
- 40 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 23 grams
- 125 milligrams
- 1050 milligrams
- 21 grams
- 0 grams
- 27 grams
- 880 milligrams