Cheddar Green Bean Casserole
So you’re making a casserole for a family dinner? Put aside Grandma’s old casserole recipe for a minute and give this new one a try. Once you take your first bite of this scrumptious green bean casserole with cheese, you might be ready to retire the old recipes and share this one with future generations. Whether you need the perfect side dish for a holiday dinner or you want to contribute to the potluck spread, this cheddar green bean casserole will definitely be a hit. We would love to hear how you enjoyed the dish, so please rate the recipe and leave us a review with any tips or comments.
What sets this dish apart is our award-winning Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar cheese. The melted cheese adds a tangy, complex flavor that serves as a rich base for the sauce. Cabot Unsalted Butter, milk, and chicken broth round out the cheesy sauce that perfectly complements the mushrooms and fresh green beans. Thyme, paprika, and onion powder add that little extra flavor that helps make this dish unforgettable. Our green bean casserole with cheese is easy to cook and this recipe makes a hearty serving that is perfect for big group dinners.
Cabot is a cooperative of New England and New York dairy farm families. We have always been dedicated to producing the best dairy products in the world, and you’ll be able to taste that commitment in all of our award-winning cheeses. We hope that our recipes will help you to create beautiful family memories in the meals and celebrations that you share. We would love to hear from you and share in these memories, so please leave us a review with any thoughts or feedback on how you enjoyed our green bean casserole.
- Cooking spray
- 6 cups green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 1½ pounds)
4 ½ teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 tablespoon Cabot Unsalted Butter
- 3 shallots, minced
- 8 ounces Cremini or white mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup dry sherry
⅓ cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup lowfat (1%) milk
8 ounces Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar, grated (about 2 cups), divided
- 3 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- PREHEAT oven to 425ºF. Coat 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- BOIL several inches of water in large saucepan fitted with steamer. Add green beans and steam until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Carefully remove steamer from saucepan to stop beans from cooking further.
- HEAT 4 teaspoons of oil and butter in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots and cook until just starting to brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Add mushrooms, thyme, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally until mushrooms have released their juices and liquid has evaporated, 3 to 4 minutes. Add sherry and cook, stirring occasionally until liquid has evaporated, 2 to 3 minutes.
- SPRINKLE flour over mushroom mixture and stir to coat. Add broth and milk and bring to simmer, stirring often, until sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes.
- REMOVE from heat and stir in 1½ cups of cheddar. Add green beans and stir to combine. Transfer to prepared dish. Top with remaining ½ cup of cheddar.
- STIR together breadcrumbs and remaining ½ teaspoon of oil in a small bowl. Add paprika and onion powder and stir until breadcrumbs are evenly moist and bright orange. Sprinkle over casserole.
- BAKE 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbling and golden brown on top. Let cool for about 15 minutes before serving.
- per serving
- 10 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 4.5 grams
- 26 milligrams
- 379 milligrams
- 14 grams
- 2.5 grams
- 9.5 grams
- 229 milligrams