Cheesy Broccoli Tots & Cheddar Onion Sauce
If you like the combination of cheddar cheese and broccoli, you are going to love this broccoli tots recipe. Almonds, breadcrumbs, broccoli florets, Cabot Sharp Cheddar (grated), chopped sundried tomatoes, chopped fresh basil, eggs, and garlic powder all lovingly come together to create some wonderfully tasty broccoli tots. You can enjoy them as they are once baked, but we think they’re even more divine when dipped into the accompanying cheddar onion sauce. Give them a try and share the recipe on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram and Twitter with your friends and family.
Once you have all of your ingredients ready, preheat your oven to 350°F and decide which way you’ll prepare the tots. You can either bake them on a large rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper, or in a 24-hole mini muffin tin sprayed with cooking spray. While the muffin tin method will result in rounder tots, the tots will brown more when baked on a baking sheet. Either way, they turn out delicious after baking for 20 or so minutes! If making the cheddar onion sauce (which we highly recommend!), prepare it while the broccoli tots are baking and serve it alongside them with wooden skewers for dipping.
Another savory broccoli and cheese dish you’ll want to make is our Cheesy Broccoli Casserole. This recipe makes a perfect potluck dish, but can be enjoyed any time. Did you know that Cabot is a cooperative of over 800 farm families? We work with some of the best dairy farms in the country to produce our award-winning cheeses and are proud of our high quality products. We know you’ll love all of our recipes that feature our cheeses and would love to hear your thoughts about these cheesy broccoli tots. If you could rate and review this recipe, we’d really appreciate it!
- ¾ cup raw almonds
- ¾ cup breadcrumbs
4 ½ cups broccoli florets
5 ounces Cabot Sharp Cheddar, grated (about 1¼ cups)
- ¼ cup chopped sundried tomatoes
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- 3 large eggs, whisked
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup 1% milk
4 ounces Cabot Sharp Cheddar, grated (about 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon to ½ tablespoon onion powder (depending on how much onion flavor you want)
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper (or cayenne pepper)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Cheesy Broccoli Tots:
Cheddar Onion Sauce:
- CHOP the almonds in a food processor until they turn into small pieces. You’re looking for some bits that are about the size of rice. It’s ok if some of the almonds have turned powdery.
- TOAST the bread. Rip it into smaller pieces and chop them in the processor until they’re about the size of peas or smaller.
- CHOP the broccoli florets in a food processor until they turn into small pieces. This shouldn’t take too long.
- MIX all the ingredients for the tots together in a large bowl.
- PREHEAT oven to 350°F.
- PREPARE the tots in one of two ways. Either line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper, or spray a 24-hole mini muffin tin with cooking spray. I found that the muffin tin creates rounder tots, but the tots are more brown when cooked on the baking sheet.
- SHAPE about 1½ to 2 tablespoons of the broccoli mixture, and shape the into a ball. Repeat until all the mixture is rolled up. Set the tots into the muffin tin or on the baking sheet. Bake for about 20 to 23 minutes, or until the tops are browned.
- WHILE the tots are baking, prepare the cheese sauce. Heat a saucepan over medium-high heat, and add the olive oil. When the saucepan is hot, add the flour, and stir it with the oil immediately. The flour should start to bubble. Add the milk and let it boil. Reduce the heat to a medium low, and stir in the cheddar. Remove from heat and mix in the onion powder, white pepper, and salt. The cheese sauce may harden as it cools, but just stick it in the microwave for 30 seconds, and it should be good to go.
- per serving