Creamy Red & Green Tomato Soup with Light Cheddar
Soups Stews & Chili
If you’re not sure what to do with green tomatoes, make this healthy and satisfying green tomato soup. While it can be made with all green tomatoes, we prefer using a combination of both red and green ones since doing so results in a lovely color! Even better than the beautiful color, the tang of the green tomatoes with the sweetness of the reds makes for a wonderful flavor combination that is sure to please your palate.
Share this recipe for green tomatoes with your family and friends on Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter.
To make 12 servings of green tomato soup, melt Cabot Salted Butter over medium heat in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan or Dutch oven. Add onion, celery, green bell pepper, hot pepper and garlic and cook, stirring, for about 5 to 7 minutes.
Next, stir in the red and green tomatoes, bring to a simmer and let cook for about 10 minutes. Add the chicken or vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let the soup simmer until tomatoes are very tender, approximately 10 to 15 minutes.
Stir in dill and thyme and let soup cool slightly. When soup has cooled enough to handle, puree coarsely in a blender or food processor, working in batches if necessary. Return soup to pot.
Add 1 cup of Cabot Plain Greek Yogurt (or Cabot 2% Plain Greek Yogurt), stirring until blended into soup. Rewarm soup over low heat, adding grated Cabot Lite50 Sharp Cheddar cheese until well blended.
Serve garnished with dollops of remaining yogurt, diced tomatoes and fresh basil.
Looking for a quick and easy-to-make classic tomato soup recipe? Our 5-Minute Tomato Soup with Parmesan Croutons is a must-try. As a co-operative of over 800 farm families, Cabot takes a lot of pride in making our award-winning dairy products. We’d love to hear your thoughts on this green tomato soup recipe, so please rate and review it once you’ve tried it.
2 tablespoons Cabot Salted Butter
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 jalapeno, Fresno or serrano pepper, seeded and sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 pounds red tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 3 pounds green tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper taste
1½ cups Cabot Lowfat Plain Greek Yogurt or Cabot Plain Greek Yogurt, divided
4 ounces Cabot Lite50 Sharp Cheddar, grated (about 1 cup)
- 1 small red and small green tomato, diced, for garnish
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil leaves for garnish
- MELT butter over medium heat in large heavy-bottomed saucepan or Dutch oven amd add onion, celery, bell pepper, hot pepper and garlic; cook, stirring, for 5 to 7 minutes.
- STIR in tomatoes, bring to simmer and let cook for about 10 minutes.
- ADD stock and bring to boil. Reduce heat and let soup simmer until tomatoes are very tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- STIR in dill and thyme and let soup cool slightly. When soup has cooled enough to handle, puree coarsely in blender or food processor, working in batches if necessary; return to pot.
- ADD 1 cup of yogurt, stirring until blended into soup. Over low heat, rewarm soup, adding cheese until well blended.
- SERVE garnished with dollops of remaining yogurt plus diced tomatoes and fresh basil.
- per serving
- 4.5 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 2.5 grams
- 10 milligrams
- 566 milligrams
- 14 grams
- 3 grams
- 9 grams
- 160 milligrams