Creamy Shrimp & Corn Chowder
Soups Stews & Chili
1 ½ cups fresh corn kernels (or frozen corn, thawed)
- 2 tablespoons plus 4 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- ¼ cup diced celery
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups coarsely chopped raw shrimp
- 2 cups lowfat (1%) milk
1 cup Cabot Lowfat Plain Greek Yogurt
- ½ cup diced green chile peppers (such as Anaheim, Poblano or Pasilla)
- ¼ cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1½ teaspoons mild paprika
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
1 ounce Cabot Jalapeno Light, grated (about ¼ cup)
- PLACE half of corn and 2 tablespoons of broth in food processor; process until somewhat smooth. Set aside.
- HEAT oil in large heavy pot over medium-high heat; add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes.
- ADD bell pepper and celery and cook, stirring often for about 4 minutes longer, adding more broth if needed to prevent sticking.
- ADD pureed corn, remaining whole kernels, oregano and remaining 4 cups broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- ADD shrimp, cover pot and let simmer for 5 minutes longer or until shrimp are pink.
- WHISK milk and yogurt together thoroughly in a small bowl. Pour slowly into pot, and stir constantly just until chowder is heated through.
- STIR in green chile peppers, cilantro and paprika. Add more broth if needed to reach desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper. Serve each portion topped with 1 tablespoon of cheese.
- Serving Size
- 1/4 recipe
- per serving
Amount/Serving % Daily Value
- 9 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 6 grams
- 220 milligrams
- 29 grams
- 3 grams
- 21 grams
- 225 milligrams