Gluten-Free Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Soups Stews & Chili
The perfect pairing of broccoli and cheddar is featured in this thick, hearty, and easy to make soup. Add a slice of buttered, crusty bread or a salad and this recipe becomes a complete meal.
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot, tapioca or cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon Cabot Salted Butter
- 2 scallions, chopped
1 ½ cups whole milk
1 ½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (12-ounce) bag frozen broccoli florets (about 4 cups)
- 1 cup shredded carrot
8 ounces Cabot Vermont Sharp Cheddar, shredded (about 2 cups)
- 1½ teaspoons Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- COMBINE arrowroot and water in a small bowl until smooth; set aside.
- MELT butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add scallions and sauté until soft. Add milk and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; add broccoli and carrots. Return to a simmer and cook over low heat for 5 minutes or until carrots are tender. Gradually stir shredded cheese into soup in batches. Stir until smooth.
- BLEND soup using an immersion blender until desired degree of smoothness is reached. If using a countertop blender, carefully blend the soup in small batches, allowing for the sudden expansion of hot liquids while blending. Whisk in arrowroot mixture, stirring constantly until thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
- per serving
- 16 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 9 grams
- 50 milligrams
- 930 milligrams
- 13 grams
- 2 grams
- 14 grams
- 378 milligrams