Green Chile and Cheddar Tamales
16 - 20 Tamales
- 1 package dried corn husks
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- ¾ pound wild mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups Salsa Verde
- 5 ounces vegetable shortening
2 ¼ cups corn flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ tablespoon salt
1 to 1 ½ cup chicken or vegetable broth, as needed
8 ounces Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar cheese, sliced
Make the filling:
- SOAK the corn husks in a bowl of hot water using a second bowl placed on top to keep them submerged in the water.
- HEAT the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until they are translucent. Reduce the heat to medium and add the mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper and saute until everything is golden and fragrant. Remove the vegetables from the pan and set aside.
- ADD the Salsa Verde to the pan to deglaze. Simmer on medium, scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.
- ADD the mushrooms and onions back into the pan and stir to coat. Finish the sauce with a dash of your favorite spices or hot sauce.
Make the Tamales:
- BEAT the shortening until smooth, as if you are creaming butter.
- ADD salt, corn flour and baking powder. Mix until well combined.
- ADD broth, ¼ cup at a time, until the dough is workable and not too wet. Dough is ready when a small ball floats in a glass of water.
- SPREAD 2 tablespoons of the masa mix over 1 large or 2 small overlapped corn husks – closer to the top, leaving 2 inches at one end to fold.
- ADD a spoonful of the vegetable filling and top with a slice of Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar cheese in the center.
- WRAP the husks by folding one side over the other, then fold the bottom over that seam.
- PLACE a steamer basket or metal colander over a saucepan. Add water up to just below the steamer basket.
- PLACE the tamales in the steamer basket standing vertically, with the folded end down. Leave them loosely packed so they have room to expand. Cover and steam until the husk separates from the filling, about 35 minutes.
- Serving Size
- 1/20 recipe
- per serving
Amount/Serving % Daily Value
- 12 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 4 grams
- 420 milligrams
- 10 milligrams
- 14 grams
- 2 grams
- 2 grams
- 5 grams
- 122 milligrams