Grilled Cheese with Smoky Tomato Jam
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 slices of sourdough bread
1 tablespoon Cabot Unsalted Butter, softened
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 ounces Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar cheese, finely shredded (about ¾ cup)
To make the tomato jam:
- COMBINE the cherry tomatoes, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, ginger, salt, cumin, paprika, and red pepper flakes in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, then reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 45–60 minutes, or until most of the liquid has evaporated and the mixture has thickened to a jam-like consistency.
- REMOVE the pot from the heat and let the jam cool. The jam will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
To make the grilled cheese:
- SPREAD ½ tablespoon of butter on one side of each slice of bread. Sprinkle the buttered sides with ¼ teaspoon pepper each.
- HEAT a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- PLACE one slice of bread, buttered-side down, in the skillet. Spread ¼ cup tomato jam over the bread, then layer the Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar on top and cover with the remaining slice of bread, buttered-side out.
- COOK for 2–3 minutes, until the bottom slice of bread is golden brown, then use a spatula to flip the sandwich and cook for another 3–5 minutes on the other side, until the bread is golden brown and the cheese is completely melted.
- REMOVE from the pan and let rest for 1 minute before slicing.
- Serving Size
- 1 sandwich
- per serving
Amount/Serving % Daily Value
- 43 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 23 grams
- 120 milligrams
- 2070 milligrams
- 117 grams
- 6 grams
- 21 grams
- 43 grams
- 730 milligrams