Grilled Fresh Tuna Melt
- 4 tablespoons paprika
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
8 tablespoons Cabot Salted Butter
½ cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup half-and-half or whole milk
4 ounces Cabot Sharp Cheddar, grated (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon favorite barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon of BBQ rub
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 6-8 ounce fresh tuna steaks
- 4 large slices of good bread
To make BBQ rub:
COMBINE all ingredients thoroughly and set aside.
To make cheese sauce:
MELT butter In medium saucepan over medium heat; whisk in flour until well blended. Slowly whisk in half-and-half or milk. Continue stirring until sauce has come to a simmer and thickened. Gradually stir in cheese; when melted, add barbecue sauce and 1 tablespoon of BBQ rub. Season with salt and pepper.
To cook tuna and assemble “melts”:
- COAT tuna steaks generously on both sides with some of BBQ rub. Transfer to plate and let stand for 15 to 20 minutes in refrigerator.
- PREHEAT grill or cast iron skillet. Cook tuna to desired degree of doneness, about 4 minutes per side for medium (tuna will continue to cook after removed from heat).
- TOAST bread slices lightly on both sides. Cut each tuna steak in half. Top each bread slice with piece of tuna and spoon warm cheese sauce on top.
- per serving
- 92 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 51 grams
- 1949 milligrams
- 37 grams
- 89 grams
- 600 grams