Healthy Mac and Cheese
Mac & Cheese
At only 318 calories per serving, you can be confident that this mac and cheese dish will give your family a healthy, satisfying meal they’ll love. We would love to know how you enjoyed our healthy twist on a classic dish, so be sure to rate the it and leave us a review with your comments and thoughts!
Nothing feeds a young family like classic comfort food, and mac and cheese has been a favorite for generations. Yet when cooking a meal for your growing family, you want to ensure that your children are receiving the very best nutrition to help them grow strong and healthy. That is where our healthy mac and cheese recipe comes in. This dish combines all the classic flavors of rich mac and cheese without the extra calories. Our Cabot Plain Greek Yogurt provides a hearty base for the dish while being high in protein and low in fat.
By using reduced fat milk and ½ cup of Cabot Plain Greek Yogurt, you can cut the calories and feature the flavors. The Greek yogurt combines with the 6 ounces of grated Cabot Lite50 Sharp Cheddar for a taste that is deliciously cheesy and creamy. The 4 cloves of garlic and one teaspoon of Dijon mustard will provide subtle, yet delicious, spice flavors to make this mac and cheese stand out from the pack. Our healthy mac and cheese makes a great lunch or dinner dish and pairs perfectly with sliced apples or fresh veggies.
Cabot is a co-operative of dairy farm families throughout New England and New York State. All of our farmers are dedicated to producing the absolute highest quality products to share with our customers. From our Cabot family to yours, we want to help make your meals special. We hope that you will leave us a review and share your thoughts on our healthy mac and cheese recipe. Your tips and ideas can help other families enjoy all the flavors that this great dish has to offer.
1 (13.25-ounce) box Dreamfields Elbows
- 4 medium cloves garlic, excess papery skin removed but not peeled
6 ounces Cabot Lite50 Sharp Cheddar, grated or Cabot Lite50 Sharp Shredded Cheddar (about 1½ cups)
½ cup Cabot Plain Greek Yogurt or Cabot Lowfat Plain Greek Yogurt
- ⅓ cup reduced fat (2%) milk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- BOIL about 4 quarts water in large pot; add elbows macaroni and unpeeled garlic cloves and cook for 8 minutes. Drain pasta well in colander and return to pot.
- REMOVE garlic cloves, slip from skins and mash into paste; scrape into a medium-sized bowl.
- ADD grated cheese, yogurt, milk, mustard, salt and pepper; whisk together well.
- STIR cheese mixture into elbows. If mixture has cooled, return pot to low heat and stir until warmed through and cheese is melted (do not overheat or mixture will be less creamy). Serve immediately.
- per serving
- 6.5 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 3.5 grams
- 16 milligrams
- 588 milligrams
- 49 grams
- 2 grams
- 19 grams
- 267 milligrams