Herb Mac & Cheese
Mac & Cheese
- 16 ounces dry penne, large elbows or shells
8 tablespoons (1 stick) Cabot Salted Butter
½ cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 4 cups hot whole, skim milk or reduced fat
1 pound Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar, or your favorite Cabot Cheddar grated (about 4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or ½ teaspoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme or ½ teaspoon dried thyme
1 cup crumbled Cheddar Cornbread or Panko breadcrumbs
- COOK pasta until almost tender (al dente) in large pot of boiling salted water. Drain well, transfer to large bowl and set aside.
- PREHEAT oven to 375ºF. Lightly grease 9-by-13-inch baking dish and set aside.
- MELT butter in heavy-bottomed pot or saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour a little at a time until well blended. Continue stirring for a minute or two longer.
- WHISK in milk gradually and continue stirring until sauce is thickened.
- ADD cheese, stirring until melted and blended.
- REDUCE heat to low. Add basil and thyme and cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes longer.
- REMOVE sauce from heat. Add about half of sauce to reserved pasta, mixing well. Add remaining sauce and mix again..
- SPREAD mixture in baking dish. Top with cornbread or panko crumbs. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- per serving
- 33.5 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 18 grams
- 100 milligrams
- 593 milligrams
- 62 grams
- 1.5 grams
- 27.5 grams
- 597 milligrams