Loaded Baked Potato Soup
Soups Stews & Chili
There’s baked potato soup and then there’s this LOADED baked potato soup! Guess which one we prefer? You guessed it! Loaded with potatoes (of course!), crispy bacon, Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar, Cabot Sour Cream and ale (or beer), this is the version we know you’ll prefer too. Make, enjoy, make again. Then share the recipe with family and friends on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and Twitter.
- 2 pounds baking potatoes
- 5 slices bacon
- 4 cups lowfat milk
⅓ cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
6 ounces Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar, grated (about 1 ½ cups), plus extra for garnish
¾ cup Cabot Sour Cream, plus extra for garnish
- ½ cup ale or beer, such as Long Trail Ale
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ½ cup sliced green onions
- START making this cheddar baked potato soup by preheating your oven to 350°F. Pierce each potato in several places with a fork and place on baking sheet. Bake until potatoes are tender, about 1 hour.
- COOK bacon until crisp, drain on paper towels and set aside. Once cool enough to handle, peel and roughly mash potatoes and set aside.
- SLOWLY whisk milk into flour in a large heavy pot. Place pot over medium-low heat and cook until simmering and thickened, stirring frequently so mixture doesn’t stick to bottom of pot.
ADD grated Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar and stir until melted. Stir in mashed potatoes, Cabot Sour Cream, ale or beer (like Long Trail Ale), pepper and salt. Cook until heated through, stirring frequently. Serve topped with sliced green onions, bacon and additional cheese and sour cream.
- per serving
- 14 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 7.5 grams
- 777 milligrams
- 38 grams
- 2.5 grams
- 15 grams
- 337 milligrams
*For a hearty and satisfying potato chowder, try this recipe for Potato, Cheddar and Corn Chowder. Cabot is a co-operative of 800 farm families and has been producing award-winning dairy products for many years. We’d love to hear your feedback on this loaded baked potato soup, so please rate the recipe after you’ve tried it!