Mac & Cheese Muffins
Mac & Cheese
As far as classic comfort foods go, mac and cheese definitely reigns supreme. If you’re on the hunt for a dish that features mac and cheese in a new and different way, then you have to try our mac and cheese muffins. These tasty muffins feature delicious macaroni noodles with cornbread and cheddar cheese. This recipe is bound to be popular with your loved ones. The recipe makes for 24 muffins, making them perfect for an afternoon snack or a casual appetizer. If you think your friends or family will like the recipe, then please share it on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter or Instagram.
Aside from being super tasty, our mac and cheese muffins don’t take very long to make. In order to make the muffins, you’ll need 16 ounces of macaroni elbows, 16 ounces of Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar, one cup of Panko breadcrumbs or cornbread, Cabot Salted Butter, all-purpose flour, and hot milk. You can also add some bacon, ham, sausage, or veggies if you’d like the muffins to be a little heartier. You can serve the muffins as soon as they’re prepared, but they also keep well, so you can enjoy them the next day.
You can’t beat classic mac and cheese. If you’re interested in trying an old-school recipe, then give our cheesy macaroni with Cabot cheddar a try. Here at Cabot, we take a great deal of pride in preparing our award-winning dairy products. We’re confident that you and your loved ones will enjoy our muffins, but we’d love to hear your feedback. After trying the muffins, please take a moment to rate and review them.
- 16 ounces medium or small macaroni elbows
16 ounces Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar, grated (about 4 cups), divided
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs or crumbled cornbread
10 tablespoons Cabot Salted Butter
½ cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 4 cups hot milk
- Optional additions: cooked and diced bacon, ham, sausage or vegetables
- PREHEAT oven to 350°
COOK the elbows in a large pot of boiling, salted water until almost tender (al dente); drain well, transfer to large bowl and set aside.
- MIX together ½ cup of cheese and breadcrumbs or cornbread in a small bowl; set aside.
- MELT butter in large heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Use 2 tablespoons of butter to grease 12-hole muffin pan.
- WHISK flour into butter remaining in saucepan a little at a time, until well blended; continue stirring for a minute or two longer. Gradually whisk in milk and continue stirring until sauce is thickened.
- ADD remaining cheese, stirring until melted and blended. Remove sauce from heat. Add about half of sauce to reserved elbows, mixing well. Add meat or vegetables and remaining sauce and mix again.
- FILL each muffin cup to rim with mac and cheese mixture. Sprinkle tops with reserved cheddar/crumb mixture.
- BAKE for 15 to 20 minutes or until hot, bubbly and lightly browned on top. Let cool to touch, then refrigerate in pan for several hours. (This will help them retain muffin shape when removed.) Carefully remove from pan with small knife.
- SLOWLY warm in oven or microwave until heated through.
- per serving
- 23 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 13.5 grams
- 70 milligrams
- 367 milligrams
- 42 grams
- 1.5 grams
- 18.5 grams
- 380 milligrams