Mini Taco Cups
Looking for the perfect appetizer or after school snack? These mini taco cups are warm, satisfying and super tasty but won’t completely fill you up and ruin your appetite for dinner. That is, unless you eat several of them – which is quite possible because they’re that good! These taco cups are made by filling tortillas with a delicious ground turkey mixture, refried beans and Cabot Vermont Sharp Shredded Cheddar Cheese, which is fantastic as is. But you can customize the flavor by adding your favorite taco toppings or having toppings set out for guests to create their own mini taco cup flavor profile. Guacamole, salsa, diced tomatoes and Cabot Sour Cream are some of our favorites. Feel free to share the recipe with friends and family on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and Twitter too!
Preheat your oven to 375°F and then heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add 2 teaspoons olive oil and the diced onions, cooking for a couple minutes, then add the ground turkey, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Add garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper and stir and cook for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low and simmer until done, about 3-5 more minutes. Note that this step can also be done a day or two in advance.
When the ground turkey mixture is done, assemble the taco cups. Take half of a tortilla and cut an inch slit in the middle of the straight side so that you can join ends together to form a cup. Using your fingers, firmly press into the cup of nonstick muffin tin. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
Brush each tortilla cup with some olive oil, then place 2 teaspoons of refried beans in the bottom of each tortilla cup. Layer with 2 tablespoons of taco meat and 2 tablespoons of Cabot Vermont Sharp Shredded Cheddar Cheese. Repeat until all 12 cups are filled.
Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly brown. Serve warm or cold and top with your favorite taco toppings. These taco cups also reheat well, making the perfect snack!
Want another yummy bite-sized food that’s ideal as an appetizer or snack? Try our Mini Mexican Pizzas! Did you know that Cabot is a cooperative of New York and New England farm families who all work diligently to produce only the highest quality products? We’d love for you to share your thoughts on this mini taco recipe, so please rate and review it once you’ve given it a try. We’d really appreciate it!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ¼ of a yellow onion, diced
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 (6-inch) flour tortillas, cut in half
- 1 can refried beans
- ½ of the cooked ground turkey mixture
Taco toppings like: guacamole, diced tomatoes, Cabot Sour Cream, salsa, lettuce
For the taco meat:
For the Taco Cups:
- PREHEAT oven to 375°F.
- HEAT a non-stick skillet over medium heat, add 2 teaspoons olive oil and onions and cook for a couple minutes, then add ground turkey and break it up with a wooden spoon.
- ADD spices, stir and cook for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low and simmer until done, 3-5 more minutes. (This can be done a day or two ahead.)
- TO assemble taco cups, take half of a tortilla (if your tortillas are too hard, you can warm them in the microwave until soft and pliable), cut an inch slit in the middle of the straight side so that you can join ends together to form a cup. Using your fingers, firmly press into the cup of nonstick muffin tin. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Brush each tortilla cup with olive oil.
- PLACE 2 teaspoons of refried beans in the bottom of each tortilla cup. Layer with 2 tablespoons of taco meat and 2 tablespoons of cheese. Repeat until all 12 cups are filled.
- BAKE for 10-12 minute or until lightly brown. Enjoy taco cups warm or cold. They can be reheated for snacks and topped with desired taco toppings.
- Serving Size
- 1 taco
- per serving
- 12 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 4 grams
- 30 milligrams
- 460 milligrams
- 17 grams
- 4 grams
- 15 grams
- 91 milligrams
Ground beef is also a good option for the mini taco filling.
Choose your favorite Cabot Shredded Cheese for this and any taco recipe.