One-Pot Cheesy Mexican Beans & Rice
Easy to make and very satisfying, this tasty recipe is vegetarian and gluten-free.
- 2 tablespoon olive oil or ghee
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 sweet potato, about 12 ounces, spiralized or shredded
- 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn (defrosted)
- 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup organic vegetable broth
- 14.5 ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- WARM ghee or olive oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, garlic, salt and pepper and sauté until softened.
- ADD sweet potatoes and continue cooking until softened, about 5 minutes.
- STIR in beans, corn and green chiles.
- SEASON with cumin, chili powder, turmeric and smoked paprika. Stir until well combined.
- ADD vegetable broth and cook for 5 minutes more scraping up and stirring in any bits from the bottom. Add canned tomatoes and cooked rice. Stir everything together and simmer on low heat for about 7 minutes.
- STIR in cheese right before serving and heat until cheese is melted. Top each plate with cilantro and more cheese, if desired.
- per serving
Amount/Serving % Daily Value
- 18 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 6 grams
- 30 milligrams
- 700 milligrams
- 85 grams
- 13 grams
- 21 grams
- 339 milligrams