Oven Fried Green Tomato Sandwich with Cheddar
A wonderful twist on the classic fried green tomato sandwich, these sandwiches use tomatoes in place of slices of bread. With cheddar cheese inside outer layers of fried green tomatoes that are perfectly seasoned with salt, pepper, cayenne, and garlic, the result is a sandwich with just the right combination of creamy and crunchy. And, since the tomatoes are actually baked in the oven instead of fried, they are healthier than the original version! Once you’ve made these, share the recipe with friends and family on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and Twitter.
To make 4-5 sandwiches, gather the ingredients listed below and preheat your oven to 375°F. Lightly oil a cookie sheet with the olive oil and place it in the preheated oven.
Slice the tomatoes to about ¼ to ⅜ inches thick and set aside while mixing the cornmeal, flour, salt, pepper, granulated garlic, and cayenne in a medium size bowl. Then blend the eggs and milk in a separate bowl.
Dip a tomato slice into the milk-and-egg mixture and then dredge it in the flour and cornmeal mixture. Repeat for each tomato slice. Arrange all of the coated slices on the baking sheet in a single layer, place in the oven, and cook for 15 to 20 minutes. Flip all of the slices and cook for 5 to 10 minutes longer.
Turn the oven off and top half of the tomato slices with two slices of your favorite Cabot cheddar cheese. Place the remaining tomato slices on top of the cheese to complete your sandwich and put the pan back in the (turned off) oven for one or two minutes, until the cheese has melted. Enjoy immediately.
For another appetizing sandwich, try our rich Mushroom Melts, made with Cabot Lite50 Sharp Cheddar, fresh mushrooms, and caramelized onions. Cabot is a cooperative of over 1,075 farm families who continuously strive to produce the best dairy products around. If you enjoy these oven fried green tomato sandwiches, we’d really appreciate it if you could rate and review the recipe!
- 2 medium green tomatoes
10 or 12 slices of your favorite Cabot Cheddar or Cabot Swiss Slices
- 1 cup lowfat milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup cornmeal
½ cup King Arthur All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic
- pinch of cayenne
- olive oil
- PREHEAT the oven to 375° and lightly oil a cookie sheet with the olive oil. Place the pan in the preheated oven.
- RINSE the tomatoes and slice them ¼ to ⅜ inch thick, just a little thicker than you would slice a red tomato for a sandwich.
- MIX the cornmeal, flour and spices in a medium sized bowl. In another bowl, blend the eggs and milk.
- DIP the tomato slices in the milk/egg mixture and then dredge in the cornmeal/flour mixture, one slice at a time. Arrange the coated slices in a single layer on the baking sheet. Place in the oven and cook for 15 to 20 minutes.
- FLIP all of the slices and cook for an additional 5 to 10 minutes. Turn the oven off and top half of the tomato slices with the sliced cheese. Place the remaining tomato slices on top of the cheese to make a “sandwich”.
- LEAVE the pan in the oven for just a minute or two with the oven still turned off. When the cheese has melted, remove from the oven and serve immediately.
- Serving Size
- per serving
- 24 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 12 grams
- 140 milligrams
- 890 milligrams
- 42 grams
- 2 grams
- 23 grams
- 488 milligrams