Quick Mac & Cheese Recipe
Mac & Cheese
This quick mac and cheese recipe only requires 7 basic ingredients, making it extremely simple to whip up a batch even on the busiest weeknights. This savory, creamy version of one of the top comfort food dishes comes together in just 10 minutes – leaving you plenty of time to enjoy your heavenly creation and relax with loved ones at the dinner table. Be sure to share this 10 minute mac and cheese with friends and family members on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter or Instagram – they’ll definitely appreciate having this recipe on hand when needed!
If you wish to use a breadcrumb topping on your mac and cheese, place croutons in a plastic bag and crush into crumbs with a small cup. Set aside.
Cook elbow macaroni according to package directions in a large pot of boiling salted water.
Bring milk to a simmer over medium heat in a medium saucepan, stirring often to avoid scorching the bottom of pan.
In a small bowl or dish, dissolve the cornstarch in warm water. Once dissolved, stir into milk. Continue stirring until sauce is simmering and slightly thickened. Remove from heat.
Drain macaroni and return to pot. Then add sauce and stir together. Add grated Cabot Sharp Cheddar, Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar or Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar
cheese and Dijon mustard and stir again. Briefly return to heat until cheese is melted.
Serve in bowls. Top with crumbs, if using.
Be sure to experiment with the variety of delicious additions provided at the bottom of the recipe instructions below!
For a tasty, lactose-free 10 minute mac and cheese, check out our 10 Minute Lactose-Free Mac & Cheese recipe. As a co-operative of farm families, Cabot is dedicated to creating the highest quality products and recipes that best showcase the fresh flavors of our products. Please share your thoughts on this quick mac and cheese recipe after you’ve tried it by rating and reviewing it.
- About ½ cup plain or flavored packaged toasted croutons, preferably all-natural (optional)
- 2 cups uncooked small elbow macaroni, whole wheat or regular
- 2 cups milk
- 2 level tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons warm water
12 ounces Cabot Sharp Cheddar, Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar, Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar, grated (about 3 cups) or Mac & Cheese Shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- PLACE croutons in plastic bag and crush into crumbs with small cup; set aside.
- COOK elbows according to package directions in large pot of boiling salted water, about 7 minutes.
- BRING milk to simmer over medium heat in a medium saucepan, stirring often so it doesn’t scorch on bottom of pan.
- DISSOLVE cornstarch in water, In small cup or bowl; stir into milk. Continue stirring until sauce is simmering and slightly thickened. Remove from heat.
- DRAIN macaroni and return to pot. Add sauce and stir together. Add cheese and mustard and stir again. Return to heat briefly until cheese is melted.
- SERVE in bowls, topped with crumbs if using.
TIP: Some easy, family-friendly additions: mix in some chopped pepperoni, ham or smoked turkey, crumbled cooked bacon or sausage, flaked tuna, diced fresh tomatoes, chopped cooked broccoli or other veggies. Or change up the flavor by using Cabot Garlic Herb Cheddar or Cabot Cracked Peppercorn Cheddar.
- per serving
- 29.5 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 16 grams
- 633 milligrams
- 54 grams
- 2 grams
- 31 grams
- 698 milligrams