Reduced Fat Stuffing
3 ¾ cups cubed white bread
- 1½ cups cubed whole-wheat bread
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 6 large garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- ½ pound lowfat turkey sausage
- ¾ cup chopped celery
2 ½ teaspoons dried sage
- 1½ teaspoons dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 Golden Delicious apple, cored and chopped
- ¾ cup dried cranberries
- ⅓ cup minced fresh parsley
4 ounces Cabot Lite50 Sharp Cheddar, cut into 1-inch chunks (about 1 cup)
- ¾ cup turkey stock
- PREHEAT oven to 350°F.
- SPREAD white and whole-wheat bread cubes in single layer on large baking sheet. Bake for about 7 minutes or until nicely toasted. Transfer to large bowl and set aside.
- HEAT large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil, onions and garlic cook, stirring, for several minutes until onions are golden.
- ADD sausage, breaking up with spoon, and cook until evenly browned. Add celery, sage, rosemary and thyme; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes to blend flavors.
- POUR sausage mixture over bread cubes. Mix in apple, cranberries, parsley and cheese. Drizzle with turkey stock and toss together lightly. Let cool.
- SPOON stuffing into turkey, loosely filling cavity.
Alternatively, bake at 375°F in an oiled dish covered with foil for 30 minutes, then uncovered for 20 minutes longer.
- per serving
Amount/Serving % Daily Value
- 12 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 3 grams
- 16 milligrams
- 421 milligrams
- 23 grams
- 3 grams
- 10 grams
- 130 milligrams