Rosemary-Grilled Chicken Sandwiches w/Cheddar & Black Forest Ham
Take grilled chicken sandwiches from ho-hum to glorious with this fantastic chicken melt recipe. The chicken is first marinated in olive oil, fresh lemon juice, fresh rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper for one hour. Then it’s grilled to perfection. But what really takes this recipe to the next level is, for the last two minutes of grilling, the chicken is topped with a slice of ham and a slice of Cabot Sharp Cheddar and covered until the cheese is melted. A beautifully quick and simple step that adds incredible flavor. Be sure to share the recipe with friends and family on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and Twitter.
Place chicken between 2 large sheets of plastic wrap and pound it with a mallet or heavy pan to flatten to ½ inch thickness.
In a medium bowl, whisk the olive oil, fresh lemon juice, fresh rosemary, minced garlic, salt and pepper together. Add chicken, turning to coat. Cover and refrigerate for about 1 hour.
Prepare hot fire in a charcoal grill or preheat a gas grill to high. Remove chicken from marinade, shaking off the excess.
Grill chicken until browned on the outside and cooked through to the center, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Toward the end of cooking time, top each breast with a slice of Black Forest ham and a slice of Cabot Sharp Cheddar cheese. Cover with grill lid or foil until cheese is melted, about 2 more minutes.
Serve grilled chicken on buns with a bed of romaine leaves. If desired, toast buns on the grill.
Looking for another mouthwatering burger with cheese recipe? You’ll love ourBBQ Pork Burgers with Monterey Jack. As a co-operative of farm families, Cabot takes a lot of pride in making our award-winning dairy products. We’d love to hear your thoughts on this rosemary grilled chicken recipe, so please rate and review it once you’ve tried it.
- 4 (4-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, fat trimmed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (2 medium cloves)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
8 slices Cabot Sharp Cheddar
- 4 ounces sliced Black Forest or other flavorful ham
- 4 buns, split
- Romaine leaves
- PLACE chicken between 2 large sheets plastic wrap; pound with mallet or heavy pan to flatten to even ½ inch thickness.
- WHISK together in medium bowl oil, lemon juice, rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper; add chicken, turning to coat. Cover and refrigerate for about 1 hour.
- PREPARE hot fire in charcoal grill or preheat gas grill to high. Remove chicken from marinade, shaking off excess. Grill until browned on outside and cooked thorough to center, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Toward end of cooking time, top each breast with slice of ham and cheese; cover with grill lid or foil until cheese is melted, about 2 minutes longer.
- SERVE on buns with bed of romaine leaves (toast buns on grill if desired).
- per serving
- 18 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 5 grams
- 103 milligrams
- 849 milligrams
- 24 grams
- 4 grams
- 41 grams
- 220 milligrams