Savory Chive & Cornmeal Waffles with Cheddar Gravy
Breakfast & Brunch
Waffles for dinner? Absolutely, as long as they are savory chive and cornmeal waffles, topped with a rich Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar gravy. Mix up a batch of this easy batter and pull out your waffle iron for dinner tonight.
1 tablespoon Cabot Unsalted Butter
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
3 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 ¼ cup nonfat milk
4 ouncees Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar, shredded (about 1 cup)
- Pinch salt
- 3 to 5 dashes Tabasco hot sauce
1 cup King Arthur White Whole-Wheat Flour or Whole-Wheat Flour
- ½ cup cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Pinch cayenne pepper
1 ½ cups Cabot Nonfat Plain Yogurt
- 2 eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- ¼ cup chopped fresh chives
- Oil for waffle iron
- MELT butter in a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Add canola oil and garlic, and cook until the garlic is fragrant but not browned. Sprinkle in flour and stir to make a paste. Remove from the heat and whisk in milk until smooth. Return to medium-high heat and cook, stirring until the mixture bubbles and thickens. Add cheddar, pinch of salt and Tabasco and whisk until smooth. Cover and set aside to keep warm.
- PREHEAT waffle iron.
- WHISK flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, ¼ teaspoon salt and cayenne in a small bowl. Whisk yogurt, egg yolks and canola in a large bowl. Beat egg whites in a clean bowl with an electric mixer until stiff. Stir the flour mixture into the yogurt mixture. Fold egg whites and chives into the batter in two batches only until no large streaks remain.
- COOK waffles in batches in oiled waffle iron according to manufacturers instructions. Keep waffles warm and serve with the cheddar gravy.
- per serving
- 21.5 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 8 grams
- 134 milligrams
- 849 milligrams
- 55 grams
- 4 grams
- 22.5 grams
- 475 milligrams